Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectexactly.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15799&mesg_id=15833
15833, exactly.
Posted by AFKAP_of_Darkness, Tue Apr-02-02 01:28 AM
apart from being poor, black and a bit dim-witted.

i'm sorry for bringing this up again, but i think that Halle's beauty really works against her in this role. the fact that she is so stunningly glamorous (even in her skanked-down portrayal) totally works against the idea that this is a film about how two totally unlikely people end up coming together due to the circumstances of their fucked-up lives.

we're supposed to be surprised and touched at how a white southern racist could end up falling for a negress, but how shocking is it really when the negress in question is Halle Berry, a black woman widely regarded as one of the most beautiful wiomen in the world of ANY race? a sista who appeals even to white dudes who don't usually like sistas at all?

like i said before, i would have been more comfortable had Halle's role been played by Lorretta Devine. or even Khandi Alexander or someone.

Halle is totally exploited in the role, cast as another tragic mulatress who has to be saved by a white man. i was particularly disturbed by the sex scene. i mean, for years i have wanted to see Ms. Berry naked, but i was really uncomfortable watching her body on display (with, of course, the same old double standard that covers up Billy Bob's nudity), knowing that for all the film's assertions that it is trying to say something about race in America, or about human beings in general, THIS scene was probably the reason the film got made.