Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectCouple things
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=15154&mesg_id=15234
15234, Couple things
Posted by DawgEatah, Mon May-06-02 06:59 AM
I enjoyed Spiderman. It was a fun action romp. I admit, I am biased as a long time comic fan.

Many of us have a double standard. IMO, there has not been a flawless comic book adaptation by any stretch. Even the first Superman and Batman has some flaws that i have problems with and I consider those to be the best adaptations thus far. But there are a lot of things to take into consideration: studio idiots and the "too many cooks in the kitchen" syndrome, making something appeal to a larger audience (lowest common denominator variables), and the translation from one medium to the next (and all the variables that go with that).

But by this comics-turned-into-movies double standard, Spider-man a decent one. I am a film maker as well, so i understand where some of y'all are coming from, hating this movie. But I have chosen to uphold this double standard and stand by it. I can go into an Adam Sandler or a Blockbuster Blow-em-up flick and enjoy it. I do not expect Citizen Cane or The Godfather everytime I walk into a theater. If you do, you'll just end up hating 98% of the ish that comes out.

So as a comic fan, an action movie fan and a lover of the whole moviegoing experience, i have to say that Spider-man is up there.

IMO, if you liked x-men, then i think you'll really enjoy spider-man. If you found yourself nitpicking over inaccuracies or the cheese factor of x-men or even blade, then you'll end up hating spider-man. But that's just how i see it.

That said, my problems with the film are as follows:
1) I thought the film was a little too glossed over. I do understand however that Spider-man is NOT batman. Peter Parker is NOT the Dark Knight. Some people wanted a darker film. Well, Spider-man isn't really a dark comic. Not all comics are dark. However I think they could have toned down the cartooniness a bit.
2)I hated the Green Globlin armor. They tried way too hard to make him look "cool."
3) Could have been a little smoother in pacing. But this is me nitpicking
4) The "United We Stand" New-Yorker bit was a little over the top. But again, I found a way to look past it.

But let me stress, I enjoyed this movie despite these shortcomings. Now, what I really loved about this movie:

1) the performances by Tobey, and the actors playing his aunt, uncle, JJ, and even Willem did a pretty good job. But mostly Tobey. I thought he was dead on. Couldn't have asked for a better Parker.

2) The very Un-Hollywood, True-to-the-Comic way Peter handled the Mary Jane relationship at the end. Bravo. I think this is the first comic adaptation to avoid the cliche.

3) the web-slinging/swinging.. I thought they really captured the comic book with they way they interpreted his swinging. Looked really kick ass. Made me wanna swing from vines or something.

In conclusion:
Is it a deep movie? No. Could it have been done better? yes. Could it have been done worse? hell yes. Is it fun? absolutely! Definitely worth seeing for some action-packed, web-slinging, brainless FUN!!!

The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what we share with someone else when we're uncool.
-Almost Famous

What ya gonna do? Exactly what I thought- Nothin'/In the sport of Frontin'/you the undisputed champion/i'm in a class you can't be in/ my words are flesh like Jesus the Aquarian...
-Talib