Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: i own them all
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=14190&mesg_id=14205
14205, RE: i own them all
Posted by m, Sun Jul-21-02 12:06 PM
>the winners
>
>-do the right thing
>-rushmore

agreed on these 2.

>-traffic

got this a couple of days ago... haven't watched yet... i am so happy they did this though... i love soderbergh's commentaries... peep the commentary track for 'the limey' -- one of the best commentary tracks out there (non-criterion btw)

>-the harder they fall

don't have... do you mean ""?

>-diobolique (orignal)

agreed :) great movie...

>-beastie boys collection (fucking amazing shit...i hope my
>career can reach this level.)

don't have this one yet either. but it's how ALL music dvds/video collections should be done. (basing this on what i've . here's to hoping more artists release collections like this... hint hint :)

>-chasing amy

agreed. 's dvds are some of the best out there. (for those of us that live for extras) did you have the criterion laserdisc for this too? i loved how he started off the laserdisc commentary by saying FUCK YOU to dvds :D

>-the last temptation of christ (marty's only director's
>commentary)

still don't have (don't know why i don't.) should buy it though before the rights run out on it...

>-george washington (please cop this one!)

have never heard of it, but it's now on .

>i grabbed about 10 more outta my crib when i was doing last
>minute packing.

>i am really curious as to why THE ROCK is included in this collection. i thought it was panned when it came out. and i
>know the criterion people are movie snobs, so it'll be interesting to see the deal.

"" is on the list because they like working with michael bay... it was previously released as a laserdisc boxset on criterion. i think criterion titles like "" (one of the first 2-DVD sets) & "the rock" help make it so they can redo other films that aren't as "popular"...

>alot of the other films are older classics that i will have to take out the wrapper. but i fully suggest for any dvd
>addict and/or recent film school dropouts to invest in each film. they give you so much more in quality and in content,
>and in commentary.

amen.

>matter of fact (we are traveling to colorado in a bit, imma
>watch the rock and brazil (finally! 3 discs!) and let you
>know the deal)

i enjoyed "," but i hope they go back and remaster it (and the earlier widescreen dvds by criterion) for 16x9 televisions... just after brazil & armageddon came out, they begin doing 16x9...

>pass the popcorn

the closest studio that comes to criterion in caring about how their films are, are new line cinema. i mean, just look at some of their dvds. the films may not be the best, but there are so many extras that you don't have time to watch them all :D (rush hour 1 & 2, se7en, boogie nights (previously available on criterion on laserdisc, they use many of the same features on the dvd set -- because the rights were owned by paul thomas anderson -- not by the studio, or criterion -- rare these days). i was giddy when i saw that new line was doing the 'lord of the rings' trilogy. the upcoming 4-dvd set for the expanded version of the first epic is coming out this november :)

fox sure has turned it's act around too (thank god). many of the older fox titles were garbage. $34.99 for every bareboned title, no 16x9... now you get releases like 'the fight club,' 'the phantom menace', the 'alien legacy'...

same goes for buena vista. early in the dvd picture, their titles were all $34.99, minimal features, and no 16x9... now you have titles 'amelie' & the recent 4-dvd set of 'pearl harbor' (which included an extended director's cut which showed what he wanted folks to see in the battle scene -- very gruesome -- think 'saving private ryan'...) haven't listened to the commentary track for the 4-dvd set of 'pearl harbor' but i look forward to it. michael bay usually talks about whatever he feels like... i'm sure he's going to address how it was seen as a failure because of the love story... there was some extremely bad acting/writing, but the war stuff is incredible...
m.
--
?
543 @ $8.60