Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: exactly
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=13074&mesg_id=13083
13083, RE: exactly
Posted by SankofaII, Mon Oct-21-02 07:03 AM
>i don't think its hard to figure out either. that is, if
>there's really anything at all to figure out. i just like
>how Lynch takes a simple plot and presents it in such a
>interesting way.

BINGO! but you know how a lot of folks are: people find his movies to be quite deep..and they are. but they arent as confusing as folk believe--at base levels, lynch tends to deal with issues of identity and impression: i.e. what you would tend tot hink about a character isnt AT ALL who the character is once you watchthe film...

like with laura palmer (from twin peaks) in the tv show, y ou learned that she was hiding a serious past of being abused by her father, etc. in the fire walk with me prequel you see HOW the consequences of that abuse were acted out by laura (the whoring at the canadian hoe house, the cocaine abuse, etc.) and the two "identities" she had: one as a straight a cheerleader the other as a coked out victim of abuse...nothing deep about that all. lynch used these wild and surreal techniques to discuss how people whove dealt with severe trauma in their life have multiple or distinct personalities or ways of navigating through that trauma...."Killer Bob" was actually laura's dad..but since laura couldnt obviously reconcile that, "Killer Bob" was born.

all o fhis films are like..dealing with some kind of degenerative identity (or identities) in a character. good stuff..cool for psych majors and deconstructionists.
Ryan