Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthe consensus...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=11959&mesg_id=11961
11961, the consensus...
Posted by REDeye, Tue Dec-03-02 02:12 PM
from critics I've read and friends I know who have seen it is that this movie will have next to zero appeal for the general public.

I think it's a better film than BJM. It's much more ambitious, more creative, and more daring. Much more accomplished.

Unfortunately, it's not more entertaining.

For film heads, there are things to marvel at. It's much more subtle, though. Except for Cage playing identical twins, the visual effects are minimal. But there are some scenes that will make the film buff gasp with shock and delight. Not sure the average filmgoer will appreciate many of them.

For screenwriters, it should be required viewing (and reading, if I can get ahold of the script). For the amazing skill handling so many different story lines and elements, and for just the representation of the screenwriter's life, it's a valuable experience.

Spike Jonze has grown as a filmmaker, and his pairing with Kaufman is certainly better than Kaufman with someone else. HUMAN NATURE was awful.

If you don't have an interest in filmmaking or don't care about the art and craft of film, this movie may seem like a giant waste of time.

I don't know. I'm loathe to discourage anyone thinking of seeing. It's so different, and I'm usually the one advocating some risk-taking in filmmaking AND filmgoing. People should make an effort to see things other than just the crap Hollywood grinds out every week. But I just don't want people to come back to me saying "you told me to see that crap and it sucked, I'm never seeing another movie you recommend again."

Not that I really care.

RED
Ora et labora