Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe Ninth Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117560
117560, The Ninth Annual Spilled Latte Award WINNERS!
Posted by Frank Longo, Sat Feb-27-16 02:23 AM
Behold, the results of PTP's own annual film awards, the Spilled Lattes!

For Best Original Score:
Tied for 4th place, Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto, and Bryce Dessner for The Revenant, and John Williams for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
In 3rd place, Junkie XL for Mad Max: Fury Road.
In 2nd place, Ennio Morricone for The Hateful Eight.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Score... Johann Johannsson for Sicario!

If predictions hold true for tonight's Academy Awards, this will mark the first time the Best Original Score Latte has gone to a composer who was nominated for, but didn't win, the Oscar. (Past double Oscar/Latte winners include Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross for The Social Network and Steven Price for Gravity.)

For Best Cinematography:

In 5th place, Mark Lee Ping-Bin for The Assassin.
In 4th place, Robert Richardson for The Hateful Eight.
In 3rd place, John Seale for Mad Max: Fury Road.
In 2nd place, Roger Deakins for Sicario.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Cinematography... Emmanuel Lubezki for The Revenant!

This is Lubezki's second Latte, previously winning for The Tree of Life (one of his few Oscar nominations that didn't result in a win). This ties him with Roger Deakins, who also has two Latte wins (but, embarrassingly, no Oscar wins). If Lubezki wins the Oscar tonight as expected, this will mark only the second time in Latte history that the winner for Best Cinematography also won the Oscar (previously, Wally Pfister won both for Inception).

For Best Adapted Screenplay:

Tied for 4th place, Christopher McQuarrie for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, and Lawrence Kasdan & J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
In 3rd place, Aaron Sorkin for Steve Jobs.
In 2nd place, Charles Randolph and Adam McKay for The Big Short.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Adapted Screenplay... Ryan Cooger & Aaron Covington for Creed!

Surprisingly, Coogler is the first Adapted Screenplay winner *ever* to have been previously nominated for a Spilled Latte-- he was nominated for Best Original Screenplay for Fruitvale Station. This is only the third time a script not nominated for the Academy Award has won the Latte (the previous two winners were Scott Z. Burns for The Informant! and Hossein Amini for Drive).

For Best Original Screenplay:

In 5th place, Quentin Tarantino for The Hateful Eight.
In 4th place, Taylor Sheridan for Sicario.
In 3rd place, Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, and Josh Cooley for Inside Out.
In 2nd place, Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy for Spotlight.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Original Screenplay... Alex Garland for Ex Machina!

Eight out of nine times, the winner for Best Original Screenplay has gone to someone also nominated for the Academy Award-- Garland is no exception (the one exception: Jeff Nichols for Take Shelter in 2011).

For Best Supporting Actress:

In 5th place, Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina.
In 4th place, Rebecca Ferguson for Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.
Tied for 2nd place, Tessa Thompson for Creed and Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs.
And the winner of the Best Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actress... Jennifer Jason Leigh for The Hateful Eight!

The Best Supporting Actress Latte has always gone to an Oscar nominee-- four times it's gone to the eventual winner. We'll see if Leigh pulls off the upset and makes it a fifth tonight.

For Best Supporting Actor:

In 5th place, Idris Elba for Beasts of No Nation.
In 4th place, Mark Ruffalo for Spotlight.
In 3rd place, Oscar Isaac for Ex Machina.
In 2nd place, Benicio Del Toro for Sicario.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Supporting Actor... Sylvester Stallone for Creed!

There is more overlap between the Oscars and the Lattes in Best Supporting Actor than in any other category-- six out of eight years past, the winner of the Latte goes on to win the Oscar. Stallone likely feels good about his chances to make it seven out of nine.

For Best Actress:

In 5th place, Daisy Ridley for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
In 4th place, Brie Larson for Room.
In 3rd place, Emily Blunt for Sicario.
In 2nd place, Alicia Vikander for Ex Machina.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actress... Charlize Theron for Mad Max: Fury Road!

This is Theron's third Latte nomination and first victory. This marks the first time the winner for Best Actress was *not* nominated for an Oscar that year (all in the Best Actress category, except for Hailee Steinfeld for True Grit in 2010, who was nominated in the Supporting category at the Oscars).

For Best Actor:

In 5th place, Ben Mendelsohn for Mississippi Grind.
In 4th place, Abraham Attah for Beasts of No Nation.
In 3rd place, Michael Fassbender for Steve Jobs.
In 2nd place, Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Actor... Michael B. Jordan for Creed!

This is Jordan's second nomination and first Latte win, previously nominated for Fruitvale Station. This is the fourth time the winner of the Latte failed to receive an Oscar nomination (previous un-nominated Latte winners were Matt Damon for The Informant!, Michael Fassbender for Shame, and David Oyelowo for Selma). While DiCaprio is expected to win the Oscar tonight, he is a three-time nominee and zero-time winner for the Lattes-- but feel worse for Michael Fassbender, who leads all actors with four Latte nominations yet has never taken one home.

For Best Director:

In 5th place, Hou Hsiao-hsien for The Assassin.
In 4th place, Denis Villeneuve for Sicario.
In 3rd place, Alejandro Inarritu for The Revenant.
In 2nd place, Ryan Coogler for Creed.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Director... George Miller for Mad Max: Fury Road!

This marks only the fourth time that the winner for Best Director has gone to an Oscar nominee. It's only the second win for a Director whose film was not also nominated for the Best Screenplay Latte (Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity being the other).

For Best Picture:

In 7th place, The Big Short.
In 6th place, Creed.
In 5th place, Spotlight.
Tied for 3rd place, Sicario and The Revenant.
In 2nd place, Ex Machina.
And the winner of the Spilled Latte for Best Picture is... Mad Max: Fury Road!

This is only the second action film to win Best Picture at the Lattes-- in 2010, Inception won (it, like Fury Road, was also nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars). Mad Max supporters shouldn't feel good about their chances tonight at the Oscars though. Only one Latte winner for Best Picture has ever gone on to win the Oscar: 12 Years a Slave in 2013.

Mad Max: Fury Road and Creed end the night as the big winners, taking home three Lattes a piece. Ex Machina, Sicario, The Revenant, and The Hateful Eight each take home one Latte of their own.

Thanks again to everyone who voted! See you all next year!

Here are the nominees (a.k.a. the Top 5 votegetters) for the Eighth Annual Spilled Latte Awards. Note: some categories may have more than 5 nominees due to a tie in the amount of votes the nominees received. The results are in-- no need to vote on these-- and will be announced the day after the Oscars, in order to steal their shine.

Sicario leads the way with seven nominations. Creed follows with six, while multiple films (Mad Max: Fury Road, The Revenant, Ex Machina) got five apiece.

TRIVIA:

- the Spilled Lattes boast six non-white actors and three non-white directors, as opposed to the zero and one nominated by the Oscars, respectively.

- this is only the second time in Spilled Latte history that an actor has been nominated in two separate categories for the same performance-- the first time was in the first Spilled Latte Awards, when Casey Affleck was nominated for both Lead and Supporting Actor for his work in The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

- this is Roger Deakins's seventh Spilled Latte nomination, tying him with the Coen Brothers for the most nominations of all time.

- several actors were not first-time Latte nominees-- we had several second-time nominees (Oscar Isaac, Brie Larson, Ben Mendelsohn, Mark Ruffalo, Kate Winslet, Pete Docter, Michael Arndt, Michael B. Jordan, Ryan Coogler, Alejandro Inarritu, Christopher McQuarrie), four third-timers (Leonardo DiCaprio, Charlize Theron, Robert Richardson, Aaron Sorkin), and two fourth-timers (Michael Fassbender, Emmanuel Lubezki).

- Michael Fassbender's fourth nomination ties him with Amy Adams for the most Spilled Latte nominations ever received by an actor.

BEST PICTURE:

The Big Short
Creed
Ex Machina
Mad Max: Fury Road
The Revenant
Sicario
Spotlight

BEST ACTRESS:

Emily Blunt, Sicario
Brie Larson, Room
Daisy Ridley, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Charlize Theron, Mad Max: Fury Road
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina

BEST ACTOR:

Abraham Attah, Beasts of No Nation
Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant
Michael Fassbender, Steve Jobs
Michael B. Jordan, Creed
Ben Mendelsohn, Mississippi Grind

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Rebecca Ferguson, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Jennifer Jason Leigh, The Hateful Eight
Tessa Thompson, Creed
Alicia Vikander, Ex Machina
Kate Winslet, Steve Jobs

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Benicio Del Toro, Sicario
Idris Elba, Beasts of No Nation
Oscar Isaac, Ex Machina
Mark Ruffalo, Spotlight
Sylvester Stallone, Creed

BEST DIRECTOR:

Ryan Coogler, Creed
Hou Hsiao-hsien, The Assassin
Alejandro Inarritu, The Revenant
George Miller, Mad Max: Fury Road
Denis Villeneuve, Sicario

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:

Ryan Cooger & Aaron Covington, Creed
Lawrence Kasdan & J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Christopher McQuarrie, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
Charles Randolph and Adam McKay, The Big Short
Aaron Sorkin, Steve Jobs

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:

Pete Docter, Meg LeFauve, and Josh Cooley, Inside Out
Alex Garland, Ex Machina
Taylor Sheridan, Sicario
Josh Singer & Tom McCarthy, Spotlight
Quentin Tarantino, The Hateful Eight

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY:

Roger Deakins, Sicario
Emmanuel Lubezki, The Revenant
Mark Lee Ping-Bin, The Assassin
Robert Richardson, The Hateful Eight
John Seale, Mad Max: Fury Road

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE:

Johann Johannsson, Sicario
Ennio Morricone, The Hateful Eight
Ryuichi Sakamoto, Alva Noto, and Bryce Dessner, The Revenant
John Williams, Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Junkie XL, Mad Max: Fury Road
117561, PTP >>> Oscars
Posted by astralblak, Sun Feb-28-16 01:46 PM
117562, ^^^
Posted by PimpTrickGangstaClik, Sun Feb-28-16 04:20 PM
117563, ^^^^
Posted by Rjcc, Sun Feb-28-16 05:06 PM

www.engadgethd.com - the other stuff i'm looking at
117564, thanks for the yearly work up
Posted by rdhull, Sun Feb-28-16 03:10 PM
117565, Good Job PTP
Posted by rorschach, Sun Feb-28-16 10:27 PM
Special shoutout to Frank for being so diligent in putting this post together every year. If only the Oscar nominees looked like the Spilled Lattes.
117566, #SpilledLattesSoOnPoint
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Mon Feb-29-16 12:46 AM
Thanks Longo for putting this together. I haven't seen alot of these movies yet, so I'll hopefully get to watching some of these in the coming months.
117567, I feel like we need to debate Best Original Score....
Posted by rorschach, Mon Feb-29-16 04:35 AM
even though I'm not nearly as able to articulate in musical terms my point that The Hateful Eight was the better score without sounding like a Morricone stan......(I probably am)

The Beast....I can't front on that. At all.
---------------------------------------

117568, Won't debate it since I haven't seen it but figured these would split
Posted by jigga, Mon Feb-29-16 10:42 AM
The Hateful Eight was the better score
>without sounding like a Morricone stan......(I probably am)

I'm guessing the Academy is like you & stood for it there too

>The Beast....I can't front on that. At all.

& that wasn't even the track they used when they announced it's nom last night

The whole score has an awesome sense of dread...it's spot on throughout
117569, Yeah, it's def a great score.
Posted by Frank Longo, Mon Feb-29-16 10:15 PM
I think the win for Sicario simply reflects that people liked that movie more overall, and the score for Sicario is a huge part of why it's so suspenseful and awesome.
117570, hateful eight is the better score and QT specifically featured it
Posted by theprofessional, Wed Mar-02-16 03:23 AM
the roadshow version had a five-minute overture that was basically a showcase for the music. the brilliance for me though is that it's a classic horror score that sets the ominous tone perfectly but also completely fits the western genre. it was a pretty clear choice for the trophy. and i'm someone who loved the sicario score, mind you. think i had them one and two on my ballot.
117571, This should be featured on the front of okayplayer proper
Posted by notnac, Mon Feb-29-16 05:18 AM
...and acknowledged site-wide. Thank you again for the work!
117572, Nice job Longo
Posted by phenompyrus, Mon Feb-29-16 09:35 AM
This is always entertaining and more accurate than the Oscars.
117573, looks like my push for a more populist lattes is working
Posted by theprofessional, Wed Mar-02-16 03:07 AM
this list is refreshingly devoid of the kind of arthouse empty theater garbage that used to dominate the lattes. i'd ride for every film on our best picture list, even the ones i didn't love like mad max, which is obviously spectacular filmmaking that i just thought was weak storywise. but i'm proud of us for moving away from the snob circle jerk and awarding films that actual people have actually seen.

anyone could make a case for any of our best pic noms as a top ten film. no one can make a case for the academy's list. brooklyn? bridge of spies? room? the martian? i saw all these movies. i enjoyed all these movies. but who on planet earth thinks these are among the ten best movies made in 2016? this is more like a list of movies it'd be safe to take a date to. oscars so white was the perfect cover for how embarrassingly bland the academy's picks were this year.

EDIT: just realized we completely snubbed straight outta compton. how does that happen on okayplayer?
117574, It came close.
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Mar-02-16 12:18 PM

>EDIT: just realized we completely snubbed straight outta
>compton. how does that happen on okayplayer?

I think the script came in 6th, and F. Gary Gray came in 6th for Director. Like the above mentioned Dope, it had support-- just not enough.
117575, The third act of Straight Outta Compton had problems....
Posted by rorschach, Fri Mar-04-16 01:17 AM
That's my rationale for not featuring it as high as some other films. If I were nominating films solely on how much I enjoyed them without even thinking about the more technical aspects of the film, I probably would've ranked it higher.

Having said that, I'll say this again......Jason Mitchell was snubbed by the Academy. I hope all the leads get shots at other movies. They were really good.

117576, nah, it's just that Hollywood made some decent flicks this year
Posted by benny, Sat Mar-05-16 06:40 PM
>but i'm
>proud of us for moving away from the snob circle jerk and
>awarding films that actual people have actually seen.

you do realize you're being just as elitist with your reasoning as the one you ascribe to so called arthouse snobs? I don't care what other people watch as long as I can have access to a diverse slate of movies, but there's nothing inherently better about recognizing tentpole filmmaking if those movies don't come correct. When they do, people notice, is all. Still a looot of trash put out by Hollywood (a good example being the steaming pile of turd that the Bond franchise has become), and still many "artsy", mostly foreign, movies being ignored because they're not as accessible. It goes both ways, and ideally awards recognize that. I feel like the Lattes did that this year, which is awesome.
Btw I had most of my picks ready to go on Google Drive but missed the deadline because I'm an idiot. Hopefully next year I'll join in the fun and we'll have lots to celebrate, with movies big and small.

117577, had nothing to do with the quality of the movies
Posted by theprofessional, Tue Mar-08-16 03:19 AM
there was a stretch where we were nominating movies based almost entirely on their obscurity, and it was largely due to snobs wanting to brag about what movies they'd seen. here's our best picture list in 2013:

Amour
Holy Motors
The Master
Moonrise Kingdom
Zero Dark Thirty

absolutely absurd. there's a french movie here that barely cracked half a million in u.s. box office and happened to be garbage (holy motors). there's another french movie here that made about $6 mil in u.s. box office and was also garbage (amour).

and we're supposed to believe that here on a hip-hop message board full of 20-to-30-something-year-old guys that we're all watching these experimental artsy-fartsy french flicks that almost literally no one else in america has seen, and we're nominating them for best picture over mainstream american flicks like django unchained, which played directly to our demographic, did nearly half a billion in worldwide box office, and was easily-- by any measure-- one of the best movies of that year.

it was pure unadulterated snobbery that had nothing to do with the quality of what was coming out of hollywood and everything to do with a weird circle jerk that developed here where people were using their nomination lists just to brag how obscure their tastes in movies were. i led the fight against it and it thankfully seems to have stopped. but i think frank changing the nomination process had something to do with it as well. we used to post our entire ballot in one post. now we break them up so you've got ten different posts, one for each category. it cut down on the vanity factor, so now people are just nominating the movies they actually enjoyed instead of trying to impress everybody with the number of empty theaters they sat in.
117578, You're right that there were two arthouse-heavy years in a row.
Posted by Frank Longo, Tue Mar-08-16 11:36 AM
That year and the year before.

And, as I'm pretty sure I said in at least 2012, the results generally reflect how many people vote. People with arthouse sensibilities vote pretty much every year. When the people whose tastes tend to skew more mainstream don't vote, the arthouse options rise to the top of the polls.

This year, we had better voter turnout than in either of those two years (it was our best turnout in the last five years, if I'm not mistaken). I think the results reflect that.

But I also do think that it helped that many of the usual suspects who support arthouse fare in the Lattes *did* vote for Mad Max and/or Creed. It's a combination of things.
117579, lol I let your first comment go but this is hilarious/ridiculous
Posted by The Analyst, Fri Mar-11-16 05:00 PM
>i led the fight against it and it thankfully seems to have stopped.

I guarantee that your annual bitching on this subject has not influenced the way a single person has ever voted for the Lattes.