Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectA neighbor of mine said he thought it looked a "MadTV" version...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117319&mesg_id=117512
117512, A neighbor of mine said he thought it looked a "MadTV" version...
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Aug-04-14 12:56 PM
...of a comic book movie. Now, he hadn't seen it yet, and that wasn't what it was, but I also don't think that's what they should be going for. Tonally, the movie was 90-95% fine, but I shouldn't be rolling my eyes during the film's climax. These things shouldn't be "Remains of the Day", but if they treat everything like, "This is all based on a comic book, so we shouldn't take it seriously," it ends up a Schumacher "Batman" movie..

>the actual framing of the movie - Ronan trying to destroy
>Xandar - kind of sucked. i didn't care about the villain or
>the planet he was trying to destroy and every time we had to
>hear a monologue about either of them, it felt like a massive
>speed bump.

Well, that was the weakness with how they wrote the main villain. I agree that was a problem. They should have written him stronger. Besides, they'd already done a better (and funnier) version of catching him monologuing not five minutes earlier, when Rocket rams him with a spaceship while he's ranting at Drax.

>Marvel movies, in general, tend to take themselves a little
>too seriously. I'm totally fine with one of their series
>being balls-out silliness. hopefully Guardians 2 can ditch the
>boring exposition and just get on with the fun.

Yeah, not seeing how most of the Marvel movies take themselves too seirously. Not with all three Iron Man movies, Avengers, and the second Thor movie. They've gotten the tone just about right, even when they have other weaknesses.