Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti gotta ask, cuz i knew nothing of this GOG prior to this flick....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117319&mesg_id=117455
117455, i gotta ask, cuz i knew nothing of this GOG prior to this flick....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Aug-02-14 07:42 AM
(spoilers below---please dont read if you havent seen the flick, its better if you just go in knowing not what to expect....)

so i knew absolutely nothing of THIS Gaurdians Of Galaxy group at all. (the only GOG i had been aware of were from the late 70s era of Marvel commics when they guested in some other books i read, or perhaps some one shot runs in those other comics Marvel used to test stuff out in ('Marvel Premier' or 'Marvel Feature' maybe?).

Anywayz, like i said i didnt know anything about the GOG in THIS film at all.

so to my question...as far as THIS GOG groups comic appearances go, in the comics that they were in did Starlords character also have the special attachment to music like the character does in the film? and, if so, in the comics, was his love for music driven by the same circumstances as it was in the movie?

Im just curious about ^that^ because i personally think that THAT musical element was something that i PERSONALLy thought was SUPER important & successful in making this move SOooo friggin satisfying!

and not just the fact that there's a 'music' link...but the SPECIFIC musical choices that they made were just ON POINT for making this thing special to me. there are many reasons why... some reasons are admittedly personal, (due to my age and the fact that i grew up on all of those tracks myself)... but the other reason that i think the music is a KEY element in the success of this movie is this: in a cosmic world as out there and over the top and crazy as this movie is set in, it NEEDs something to ground US into it to. We need to have some element that we can instantly connect to in a universe as loopy and fantastical as this one. Just like the character of Quill uses/relies the music to take himself back to where part of his life & soul began, so do we in a way in this world of talking racoons and ass kickin friendly trees.

so...if you cant tell by now, i LOVED this movie...i had a grin on my face through most of it, and a tug at my heart through the rest...so very well done, a big barrel of fun. but not empty disposable fun, nope, this was the kinda fun that had some solidness to it, some nutrients in it...the kinda fun you want to revisit and explore further. I will likely see this one probably two more times in the theater (definitely going at least one more time for sure). This is a film that warrants GOING to the movies to see as upposed to 'waiting for the blu-ray'...this one has some genuine 'communal' elements to it (including, but not exclusive to, the 'musical' elements that i mentioned above....the pop culture references that are sprinkled throughout and targeted will tickle various fancy's and different age groups, and it was fun hearing others in the theater laugh extra hard the same little elements that YOU thought were extra funny too.

there was applause in the theater i went to see it in. (and yup, i aint ashamed, i was one of the first to start clapping)

thats saying a LOT to because...going in, having heard that the reviews were coming in WAYY HIGH, i though to myself 'i mean, i know Marvel has a good track record, but there is no way this Movie can be that good right? I mean, i'm sure its gonna be solid and all, but i kinda went in thinking that it couldnt live up to the positive press it was getting, going in i kinda thought i would probably 'like it'...i didn't expect to come out loving it though...but i did.

that was big damn fun.

Marvel knocked this one out of the park. it wasnt PERFECT (as some have mentioned, the 'most immediate' bad guy in this one was kinda run-of-the-mill bad guy more or less....they need to work on that (although the REAL bad guy BEHIND the scenes...u know the one....Thanos...was friggin awesome in his appearances!)...but other than that 'weaker than the rest' bad-guy element, this flick was ON freakin POINT. The kind i dont mind plopping down my $$ to see at a theater at all...it had humor, it had music, it had heart, it had legitimate character motivations, it had action, and what i ALSO like its that, along with the 'big-fun' and 'heart' elements which will play to all ages, it also had some kinda grown up violence and smart-assery TOO and i was very glad that they went THERE as well. (i hate it when movies go TOO 'clean').

i hope its a big hit for Marvel, cuz i think they deserve it for taking some chances with this one....i am now a fan of this batch of GOG characters and i cant wait to explore the rest of their galaxy with them...