Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAdaptation
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=11713
11713, Adaptation
Posted by al_sharp, Fri Jan-10-03 10:53 PM
Point blank...this movie was amazing. It had it all. That's it...just felt like saying that.

"Holla back...but listen first."
--Common

aim: cflartey

Beware The Illgaluminati.
11714, RE: Adaptation
Posted by wallychamp, Sat Jan-11-03 12:49 AM
>Point blank...this movie was amazing. It had it all.
>That's it...just felt like saying that.

spike jonze is genius, but.........I HATE NICK CAGE!!!!
11715, RE: Cage
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-11-03 07:34 AM
Im not a big fan of Nicholas Cage either but I must admit he's REALLY good in this and even does a great(and very convincing job of playing his own twin. Yes I know it sounds corny but it really does work

And the film is great
11716, RE: Adaptation
Posted by Sunday, Sat Jan-11-03 06:24 PM
i found the very end with the broad and "i love you's" a bit corny but other than that it was dope.
11717, its supposed to be corny
Posted by DrNO, Sun Jan-12-03 12:40 AM
at the end, it becomes a big stupid hollywood movie.
11718, egggsactly
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jan-12-03 08:42 AM

11719, thing is,
Posted by REDeye, Sun Jan-12-03 11:06 AM
does the fact that it was intentionally corny make up for the fact that it was corny? I don't think so.

A lot of people are saying that if you don't like this movie, then you just didn't understand it, or if you didn't like the ending then you took it too literally. I say that's bullshit.

A lot of artists have been doing this type of thing in other media for years, and the critics defending them have fallen back on the same excuses. Sometimes it's legitimate, sometimes it's not. But irony died a long time ago.

It reminds my of that Common song on LWFC with MC Lyte (sorry I'm blanking on the name). You make a song filled with mysoginistic stereotypes to comment on the mysoginistic stereotypes in rap music. Fine, I get that. But if I don't like songs with mysoginistic stereotypes, why should I like this one?

You make a movie filled with trite hollywood cliches to point out how trite and cliched hollywood movies are. Nice statement, but you still are asking me to watch a movie with trite hollywood cliches. I understand it. I just don't like it.

RED
Ora et labora
11720, I feel you
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jan-12-03 11:53 AM
I guess it depends on how you take it. To be honest I came out of the theater feeling dissapointed in the last part of the film but admittedly (at the time) snickering and patting myself on the back because I was one of the "ones who got it" (pretty sad huh?). Its hard to say whether or not it was worth it to sacrafice 2/3 of a really good film with a shitty ending just to try and prove a point, but for me the first part of the film (which I really enjoyed) and the fact that they were willing to take a chance like that made it worth it to me. But thats just me. :)

Also did Donald Kaufman really write the last part of the film? I know thats what people are saying and I know he's credited but I was just wondering if you knew for sure.

11721, there *is* no donald kaufman
Posted by zero, Sun Jan-12-03 03:50 PM
charlie made that up...

and i loved the movie.
spike's my hero.
11722, I knew that!
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jan-12-03 05:20 PM
yeah

I knew that!!
11723, :-(
Posted by ororo_munroe, Mon Jan-13-03 08:38 AM
That's a spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it...I was gonna tell you to edit it, but it's too late.

For me, I was all crying when it said it was dedicated to Donald and shit...and then I looked up all the characters in the movie to try to discern what was real and what wasn't...and came across Charlie's bio...no Donnie! I was laughing for days. People in my office thought I had lost my mind! That Kaufman is something else.

11724, Total self-gratification
Posted by blue23, Mon Jan-13-03 09:45 AM
>does the fact that it was intentionally corny make up for
>the fact that it was corny? I don't think so.
Me neither. And yes I 'got it'.

>A lot of artists have been doing this type of thing in other
>media for years, and the critics defending them have fallen
>back on the same excuses. Sometimes it's legitimate,
>sometimes it's not. But irony died a long time ago.
Let's try and forget about '8 1/2' and all the other movies Kaufman borrows from. It's killing me that NO ONE is mentioning that CK stole the concept of the brothers as screenwriters idea right down to the bogus script concept from Sam Shepard's "True West".

>You make a movie filled with trite hollywood cliches to
>point out how trite and cliched hollywood movies are. Nice
>statement, but you still are asking me to watch a movie with
>trite hollywood cliches. I understand it. I just don't like
>it.
Exactly. It comes off as a total hand job. Spike and Charlie jerking themselves off. Look what we did. Look how smart. And critics have totally bought it and deemed them geniuses. I'm not buying it. At the end of film, when you walk away, what are you left with? A couple funny Nic Cage moments, some decent editing, and a forgettable film.

BTW
11725, good movie
Posted by jomac, Sat Jan-11-03 07:36 PM
- many plot changes (literately). don't know if was meant to be a comedy but it was there from beginning to end. some parts left you thinking and recalling scenes. again, good movie.
11726, RE: Adaptation
Posted by allison, Sat Jan-11-03 11:47 PM
I need to see this movie
11727, RE: Adaptation
Posted by Saadiq, Sun Jan-12-03 12:23 AM
i have heard nothing but good things about this movie. will have to check it out when it comes out. is it directed by Spike Jonze??
11728, Yup. (n/m)
Posted by al_sharp, Sun Jan-12-03 08:31 AM
"Holla back...but listen first."
--Common

aim: cflartey

Beware The Illgaluminati.
11729, I hate to say it...
Posted by Illgamesh, Sun Jan-12-03 10:26 AM
But I think this beats out Punchdrunk Love for best movie of the year. Sorry, Paul.
11730, RE: Adaptation
Posted by okhumboldt, Sun Jan-12-03 05:38 PM
i thought donald was the split personality of charlie. i never even really thought of him as a person throughout the movie unitl he started interacting with the other characters. he was the complete antithesis of charlie. also i loved how every time charlie had a "break through" it was something that already happened in the movie. i cant wait to see it again, except that i saw it in sf around xmas and it doesnt open in humboldt till jan 31.
11731, Kaufman twins they running this movie shit!
Posted by Mr Mystery, Sun Jan-12-03 05:47 PM
One of the few movies that lived up to the hype. I mean the movie works on so many damn levels. I can't say nothing no one else has not said, but it's some amazing shit. I mean the movie struck me on every damn level. Chris Cooper deseves a oscar by now that's all i have to say.

11732, LOL! yeah...the kaufman brothers are the shit!
Posted by ororo_munroe, Mon Jan-13-03 08:34 AM
don't you feel like someone cool who's "in" on a cool joke?
11733, Yes....
Posted by queenisisdivine, Mon Jan-13-03 06:11 AM
Amazing quite sums it up.

A R C E

poSSible ReAcHes. . .
EM:
AIM:auraclevisionz
Yahoo:auracle_rhythms

11734, RE: Adaptation
Posted by native_son, Mon Jan-13-03 09:23 AM
Amazing? Sure. Creative? Yes. Self-indulgent? Massively.

I am looking forward to _confessions of a dangerous mind_, a book kaufman adapted without the self indulgent interlude.

native son
11735, "see that girl over there?
Posted by cbk, Tue Jan-14-03 09:23 AM
i fucked her up the ass...

nah, just kidding"...

"i'd really like to fuck HER up the ass!"
11736, RE: "see that girl over there?
Posted by likwit_crew, Tue Jan-14-03 09:28 AM
damn he was killing me. Does anything other than Office Space pop in your head when you see him?
11737, wasn't he on "band of brothers"?
Posted by cbk, Tue Jan-14-03 10:29 AM
what a waste of comedic talent on that miniseries!!!

i love office space. "lumberg fucked her." HAHAHAHA
11738, Swingers also
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-14-03 11:19 AM
In Adaptaion did anyone notice the pictues of himself on his desk?