Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectNot Nolan's best but his most inspirational/emotional
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117076&mesg_id=117249
117249, Not Nolan's best but his most inspirational/emotional
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Nov-20-14 12:50 PM
I really did enjoy the movie and the experience...MM killed it (no surprise), very well shot, the score may have been a bit extra but still resonated pretty effectively with me. I thought Nolan did a much better job of integrating the exposition into the film rather than having it disjoint the film. Very well shot, did a much better job with transitions than he did in TDKR (some of those were just jarring). From everything I've read about the visuals of the black hole and the subject matter regarding time as another plane in a higher dimension rather than a continuum, I thought it was executed pretty damn brilliantly. The scenes in which MM saw the growth of his kids definitely hit me (i'm always a sucker for anything related to growth though lol) and lastly, thought the robots were very well integrated into the film, really well written and personalized.

The one major issue I had with the film, as many others have noted, is the inclusion of Matt Damon as an antagonist. Considering the scope of the movie, the focus on exploration, and the odds that the crew were already facing (and the fact the movie had spent so much time to show us just how bleak those odds were), I felt it completely unnecessary and almost cheap to throw in this "villain" to cheaply ramp up the drama in such an over-wrought manner. I wish he would have kept the focus on the search, on the bleakness of the mission, on how these established characters deal with that context because that was more than compelling enough to have me completely immersed in the film. It completely jarred the focus and pace of the film...the film went from it's aspiration of reaching higher on this inter-stellar journey to a base, over-done "villain" framework.

All in all....I certainly enjoyed it, completely immersed...except for the one major mistake. Will watch it in IMAX once I'm back to LA, that's for damn sure lol.