Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthe BEST thing about this movie was....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117076&mesg_id=117191
117191, the BEST thing about this movie was....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sun Nov-09-14 09:59 AM
Matthew friggin McConaughey....

judging by my own gutteral/natural reactions, mr McConaughey is the best thing about this flick hands down....the FIRST thing i said, as my wife & I were walking out of the film, was "McConaughey is awesome, that dude brings it home everytime"...

then a day or so later after seeing the film, after letting it settle in a bit and thinking about the movie as a whole, the thing that comes to mind more than anything else is...

"Damn, McConaughey was friggin great, that cat just pulled me IN to this one."

more than the visuals (which were very nice in big ol IMAX.)
more than the main 'concept'/main 'twist' (which was kinda 'relatively' predictable)

more than anything else...McConaughey is the REAL star/gravitational-pull in this film...THAT dude is SO magnetic and , and charismatic and overtly/subtly talented as an actor that HE is the main thing that lingers after you've left the film...

the REST of the movie was ok, i didnt hate the rest, it was decent enough for me to be entertained and not feel cheated. Not 'great' for me by any means, but you know, it was the 'it was alright' kinda flick. The rest of the film just didn't 'linger' with me so much afterwards...and thats usually how i judge em....

McConaughey's stellar performance in this space flick is what its all about for me. That cat is on a roll....

(for the record, on Nolan flicks: I really liked the Prestige & Batman Begins...those two i dug. Momento was eh, Inception was visually a blast but nothing else lingered that long for me. Other than Ledger, i didnt really think The Dark Night was so good and i thought Dark Night Rises was really really bad. And for comparisons sake, not that you should HAVE to compare because i dont think you have to do that, but for those that like that comparisons sperspective, as far as the recent big space movies go...in the FULL MOVIE sense, i liked Gravity much more than this one. in storrytelling, tension, visuals etc..Gravity 'lingered' for me where this one, oustide of McConaughey, just didnt so much for me. )