Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectDid Damon Lindeloff borrow Nolan's casting director?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117076&mesg_id=117175
117175, Did Damon Lindeloff borrow Nolan's casting director?
Posted by Cold Truth, Sat Nov-08-14 05:13 PM
I like Nolan. I loved the Batman trilogy. I dug Inception. I like his brand. I loved the premise of this and thought the cast hit homers and triples for much of it. That said, get the entire fuck out of here.

SPOILERS. There's a lot of bullshit in here, but I'll just focus on a few of them.

Uh... so... he hits a black hole. We don't know what's beyond a black hole, so there's a lot of things that could be done with that and still seem plausible while suspending disbelief. There's a lot that could have been done that could make us think, "That's wild as fuck. I dunno about all that but shit....... maybe, who knows? What the fuck do I know about black holes?"

Then Nolan took a sharp left turn. You know what? FUCK IT, I'm Christopher Nolan. I do what the fuck I want, so this black hole leads to a physical plane of time that just so happens to consist of every moment in the history of the main characters daughters bedroom, specifically behind her bookshelf. He'll be the ghost who spoke to her earlier in the movie and speak to her in morse code, while giving himself the coordinates to the NASA base that got this ball rolling to begin with! How? Why? Who cares! It'll be great!

I mean, I guess. Whatever. It's a cheap, generic, B movie twist but BOY did it look purty! I can't be the only one who telegraphed that shit from jump. Oh she has a ghost? It speaks in morse code? It's telling her "stay"? Well, I figured I was either the dead mom or they'd find a way to get dad to do it.... so hopefully they don't do either of those because they both suck, don't make much sense, are way too sentimental for the sake of being sentimental, and are kind of predictable and generic.

Oh, and Matt Damon talks about evolution and survival and attachments and takes McConaughey alone, just the two of them, on a walk when all of a sudden BAM!!! Heel turn, because why the fuck not. Another bland twist that was easy to see coming a mile away. I could live with this if this was where the annoying stupidity ended but nooooo. We still had that Lost bullshit to deal with after this.

There's more but man... the inter-dimensional ghostdad morse code bookshelf bullshit was a doozy. Just plain dumb. It transformed a great idea into a polished turd.