Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectA Hit but it's mostly a miss
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117076&mesg_id=117162
117162, A Hit but it's mostly a miss
Posted by Rolo_Tomasi, Fri Nov-07-14 07:49 AM
As usual with Chris Nolan's films you get both hit and miss. Likely a box office hit too.

I have no agenda but I'll say right now I don't enjoy Nolan's films. I am very glad he is able to make his type of films in Hollywood today I just think they are meretricious. A bit like Oliver Stone's movies I think they are overrated but I like that Olly Stone can make the films he wants too.

Okay onto Interstellar. The effects are amazing. No-one is going to dispute that. Cinematography is outstanding.

However, the dual plot lines do not work as what is happening on earth is boring. Anytime not in space is wasted, the emotional grip of the narrative is "Interstellar" so Nolan don't put the dying earth on screen when it doesn't hold the attention.

Dialogue is clunky and vapid. Hard work making astro-physics palatable and simple for the mass market but I never finish a Nolan film thinking it had brilliant dialogue.

Characters: Alright, Alright Alright does a very good job and Chastain too. However, I never enjoy Hathaway on screen nor Caine nor Damon so just by casting I'm not going to love the actors in this film. Just a personal quibble.

As Jigga said in an earlier post the film is similar to Sunshine apart from the lack of horror. That film too had potential but never fulfilled it.

Its ultimately a forgettable film which I find is the case with all Nolan's work. I realise i'll be in the minority with my thoughts.