Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy thoughts:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=117076&mesg_id=117152
117152, My thoughts:
Posted by Frank Longo, Wed Nov-05-14 03:28 AM
I'll start with Keith Phipps from The Dissolve:

"McConaughey does eloquent work in the midst of a beautiful, admirably overreaching, often ineloquent movie. His performance nails what the film around it can never quite express as well as it wants: that however far we might go in the cosmos, our humanity, with all its lovely, tragic, defining needs and weaknesses, will always travel with us."

I'll also link to Peter Labuza, whose review is definitely harsher than mine would be, but who makes a number of very good points that I wouldn't refute about Nolan and this film in particular: http://bit.ly/10i8vdv

Especially this point:

"Let’s not critique Christopher Nolan for his constant exposition. Nolan, perhaps the best-known quantity in Hollywood filmmaking of the last decade, has been continually lambasted for the tawdry dialogue delivered via his characters. But his characters are in situations that require it, whether we’re talking about the rule-bound dreamscape of Inception or amnesiac Leonard’s retelling of his condition in Memento. In his latest opus, the existential science fiction epic Interstellar, a NASA crew needs to relay a lot about quantum physics, black holes, and the relationship between gravity and time. So why do more “heady” themes, like family, survival, and love, have to be discussed like a teenager reading an anatomy textbook?"

My additional personal thoughts:

When it's in space and dealing with science, it's terrific. When it's back on earth and dealing with the earth-bound themes, not nearly as much. The visuals are spectacular, the best Nolan has ever created. McConaughey is strong, the strongest Nolan lead since Jackman and Bale faced off in The Prestige. Outside of the turn at film's end, the movie is far more conventional than some reviews may lead you to believe-- and even the turn at the end is predictable in concept, just not in execution. Which is fine, as the movie is plenty entertaining and gorgeous. It's better than Inception or the Batman films, but it still only truly grabbed me intermittently. See it in IMAX for the visuals, which are by far the best part of the film.

And, obviously, if this movie is so popular that it results in a renewed national interest in NASA and leads to further space exploration (which it could-- one of the best things about the movie is that it's essentially a love letter to NASA), then I'll gladly be the first in line for Interstellar 2 through 5. Make more. Renew the interest. Bring space travel back into popularity. Please.