Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti don't see any summer movie topping this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116900&mesg_id=117043
117043, i don't see any summer movie topping this
Posted by theprofessional, Wed Jul-17-13 07:53 PM
THE GOOD:

- just stellar execution of concept. i mean, robots vs. monsters is a pretty generic idea that could go a million ways, most of them terrible. but they packed this with so much more awesome than any two-hour movie should contain, almost to the point where there's no room for a sequel. love that they held nothing back. the jaeger swinging a battleship like a bat... i mean, just too much awesome to even discuss.

- the sequence where mako blacks out into the childhood memory of being chased by a kaiju was pure eye candy. very pan's labyrinth. loved it.

- when that one thing happened in hong kong where the kaiju picked up gipsy danger and did that awesome thing that i won't spoil, my inner geek busted a nut. also, i busted a nut.

THE GRIPES:

- i wish the san fran scene was an actual scene. as overdone as large-scale attacks on american cities are, i still wanted to see it. also would've been cool just to see a daylight action scene, as they were pretty few.

- the scene where charlie from it's always sunny drifts with the aliens and tells stringer their plan was such a direct rip-off of ID4, it was amazing. right down to the alien motivation. almost a word-for-word rip-off of the bill pullman scene. can't anyone think of a better reason for aliens to invade us? also, isn't sending huge monsters to knock stuff over just about the least efficient way possible to exterminate the human race?

- i hate 3D. i don't know why i saw it in 3D. it's like watching a movie with sunglasses on. a movie where most of the action occurs at night. so needless to say, there are several scenes where there's robots and monsters flailing around and you just have no idea what you're looking at. don't see it in 3D.