Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI liked it a lot
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=11683&mesg_id=11710
11710, I liked it a lot
Posted by spirit, Tue Jan-14-03 07:10 PM
whoever played the stockbroker did a great job....i didn't catch his name in the credits (i was paying too much attention to the springsteen song they were playing...i hardly ever get a chance to peep dude's material, but he always impresses me...if anyone can suggest an album to cop, hit my inbox).

back to the film...the acting was great and all these posts about "it's not plot driven" is silliness, almost every movie is plot driven because it's almost impossible to have a two hour film without a plot (it would have to be random images projected on the screen for 2 hours). clearly, there was a plot here; what people think is "not plot driven" is actually a comment on the fact that the struggle in the film is mostly internal...inside edward norton as he tries to cope with the idea that he is about to serve one long stretch...as well as how this affects his friends, father, and his woman...there are also some subplots, but I won't talk too much about that....just go see it...anyone who says it's not "plot driven" is too used to the overly simplistic writing of many Hollywood scripts ("the hero's wife is killed, then he has to get revenge, and is confused about whether or not his best friend in on it...you think the killer is the killer, but it turns out the killer is Papa Smurf in disguise and his friend is really his wife and she never got killed at all"...this trend towards plot convolution has people walking out of movies saying "that had no plot" just because the movie doesn't have any 180 degree plot turns or can be excitedly described to friends ("it's about a man who has an alien growing in his stomach!")). come on now...

back to "the 25th hour". see it. the acting is great. rosario doesn't really get to shine much, acting wise, until the later scenes in the club.

also, this film had one of the most realistic depictions of urban club life that i have seen on film. how they panned the music from left and right speakers in the theater as the DJ was switching on the crossfader was great. DJ Cipha Sounds did the damn thing there.

the DEA agents were funny ass shit too. "Sheeee-it". Those were classic cop scenes right there. "This sofa is awfully lumpy....".