Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectA few questions
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116519&mesg_id=116719
116719, A few questions
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jun-21-13 01:39 AM
>To address some of what's been said already, I took Pa Kent's
>death as Clark's "I'll never stand by and just let something
>happen again" but right before the tornado, he was discussing
>that there was more in store for him than just staying in
>Smallville, so not sure why so many people don't "get" what
>his next logical step was, it made sense to me.

Since, up to this point in the movie, we'd never seen Clark just stand by and not help someone, and since, right before the tornado, he was arguing against standing by and not helping, why would he need a "I'll never stand by" moment?

It doesn't really seem logical to me that Clark says, "I should help people!" then he doesn't help, which leads him to say, "I should help people!"
Did he really need his father to die to realize that letting people die is kinda shitty? He was already arguing that he should do more so why would he need to do the least to realize that, yeah, he should do more?

Similarly, if Clark was intending to leave and was arguing in favor of helping people, why let his father die? I know it was how his dad wanted him to act but to say, "OK Dad, I'll give you this one but then I'm going to do it my way" makes his father's death ultimately meaningless and somewhat heartless, when you factor in he's now leaving his mother widowed and alone.

And finally, isn't it odd that Clark's reaction to his Call to Arms moment is that he runs away to the furthest corners of the Earth?

---

>Really don't get all the objections to his
>death. We're not talking about killing a human being, we're
>talking about a super being who was only going to kill people.

It's just a change in the canon of Superman. Nolan objected to it because of that.
But in the actual film, not killing Zod made little sense and I do think that Snyder and Goyer were right that, given the film they built, having Zod get sucked into the Phanton Zone (the original ending) wasn't a very satisfying climax. The problem was that they painted themselves into a corner and, rather than rewrite the whole thing, they just threw in yet another bash 'em up fight scene and had Supes do the deed.

>Every other telling of
>Superman in TV and big screen has presumed that he was more
>welcome than feared. Finally the very real notion of people
>fearing what they don't know and can't control is manifested,
>as well as the feelings that one can feel knowing they're
>different, even if more powerful than others.

Do people have a problem with this? I think it's a great idea to add but it's very difficult to pull off and I don't think they succeeded with this film.