Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectGood and enjoyable, for the most part
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116519&mesg_id=116580
116580, Good and enjoyable, for the most part
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Jun-15-13 01:07 AM
For the first hour or so the movie established itself as a sort-of Batman Begins origin story retread, complete with flashbacks to key moments before the present, which I did not have a problem with, as they gave us just enough of an emotional foundation for both the character and the movie to go forward with. I didn't need to see every detail of Clark's upbringing; this felt like we were getting some of the emotional highlights from Clark's youth, and, save for a little bit of clunky dialogue (NOT NOLAN'S FAULT), it worked just fine.

I'm also going to add that, while I thought of Batman Begins during the early flashback sections of the movie, a good majority of it also FELT A WHOLE HELL OF A LOT LIKE LOST, complete with the *whoosh*es. So... yeah.

All that said, it was almost as if Zack Snyder felt constricted by all of that backstory stuff and couldn't wait to jump into the action, so about the last hour or so is him pummeling us with lots of exploding buildings and fist fights... which were awesome, no question, but they also felt like they belonged in a different movie, like the sequel to this one.

Now, some of the action was quite confusing... for example, how is it that Zod and Superman were throwing each other through standing, well-lit buildings when moments earlier we had seen a bunch of these same buildings getting reduced to rubble? Did I miss the part where one guy threw another guy into a suburb of Metropolis, to another city filled with standing buildings with working power so they could continue scrappin'?

I also almost hate to say this, but I'm trying to figure out why we needed Zod in this movie, or more accurately why there was so little of him. I didn't have a problem with Michael Shannon's performance, but he didn't have very much to do but yell and glare menacingly. And I never really bought him as a threat; it would have been nice to see more of his military cunning and/or political smarts and/or brute force in the beginning, just to let us know that he's a problem that would haunt Kal-El going forward. As is, we root against Zod because it's Zod and we know who he is from the previous movie.

I also could have done without the kiss. Or at least saved it for later.

BTW

(SPOILER)

Did anyone catch the "LexCorp" semi truck during the destruction of Metropolis? I'm sure there are more easter eggs like that that we will catch... in fact I just read about some sort of Batman easter egg...

I thought that Henry Cavill was okay. The ladies in the audience were digging him, so, fine. Just keep your shirt on in the sequels, b, we don't need to see all that bullshit. I thought that Russell Crowe, Kevin Costner, Diane Lane, and Amy Adams were great. Larry Fishburne was cool but he didn't have much to do but be gruff.

Also, the fucking score for this movie goes hard. Hans Zimmer has done it again.

Overall, I have to say, it's a movie that I enjoyed more than I didn't. Your mileage may vary.

______________________________________________________________________________________
Im not posting in PTP