Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThat's cause shit was ICONIC, b
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116519&mesg_id=116527
116527, That's cause shit was ICONIC, b
Posted by buckshot defunct, Thu Jun-13-13 11:05 PM
>>(The first will always be this one:
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL12bbRPUz4)
>
>I'll never forget the 1st time I saw that in the theater

I don't think we got anything so powerful in this one. For the most part, the larger set pieces were just a monochrome blur. But I liked some of the effects and shots they used in the fight scenes. These characters were basically gods yet the action felt really visceral and in-your-face at times. I dug that.

>I've never really enjoyed the nerdy Clark version so I was
>glad to see them go in a different direction from that. I
>would like to see more of that Superswag in the sequel as well
>tho.

I LOVE nerdy Clark, but I wasn't really expecting it here. And I was ok with that. But the same way you don't dig nerdy Clark, I'm not too crazy about "isolated" Superman. He's so different, he's so alone... Yeah, I get it, he's a super powered alien, but c'mon. He's also SUPERMAN. This story was all about making it clear he was "not our enemy"... But I prefer when he's presented more like our friend. And I think this movie was about getting him to that point. So on the bright side, it's a nice set-up for an even stronger sequel in my eyes.

>Didn't mind this too much since I think they only showed it
>twice as a kid & the third occasion as an adult was handled
>very well w/ the comic relief.

Yeah the impaled truck didn't do much for me, same goes for most of the other instances of comic relief. But let's see, you had the kid on the bus, the kid outside his dad's workshop, the fishing boat co-worker and gossipping classmates to a lesser extent, the truck driver, the US Military... I mean this dude was not having the best track record with humanity up to this point.

>Was it the scene towards the end w/ Lois & the Daily Planet
>stuff that closed it?

Nah I dug that. In fact that's where I wanted it to begin in the first place.

What I'm talking about was the... let's just call it the OH SNAP moment. I felt it violated the most important ideal Superman is supposed to stand for.

>Biggest problem for me was that it needed a better villain

Yeah, a superhero movie is only as good as its villain in my eyes. Zod won't let this movie be great. A handful of other factors almost kept it from being good.