Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI realize what their aim was. My point: their aim is misguided.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=116279&mesg_id=116357
116357, I realize what their aim was. My point: their aim is misguided.
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Apr-06-14 06:03 PM
And, in my opinion, it is not true to the character of Superman.

Now, if Man of Steel was about "Kent Clark" who comes from the planet "Cryptite" and he becomes the powerful hero "SteelMan" who does kill people, I'd have no problem with it.

Obviously there's a difference in these characters' histories with the person they "need" to kill in their respective movies. But, just as I was very disappointed in the MoS choice, I would've been just as (if not more) disappointed had Cap gone that direction.

There are certain character traits in beloved comic characters that are just ingrained into their system. If Wolverine suddenly said, "Cigars? Not for me. Disgusting habit.", folks would fucking rebel. Doesn't really matter if that's the direction they want the character to go in in a new story or not.

Same way I rebelled when The Great Gatsby didn't seem to really get Gatsby. I don't really care if they're telling a "new version." The old one didn't really need fixing, IMO.