Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Solid B, maybe a B+ (Spoilery)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115826&mesg_id=116016
116016, RE: Solid B, maybe a B+ (Spoilery)
Posted by astralblak, Sat Nov-15-14 04:56 PM
The first 20-30min are where I found the film to be very flawed. It was a lot of academic exposition on race, class, and identity politics in contemporary America. Simien's argument (rather subject) wasn't flawed, how he was presenting the characters and setting in an almost hurried, narrow manner is what troubled me. I was already developing scorn for Coco's character, hating for Troy's, and disinvesting from the film's world.

Yet, upon reflection, I think that "first act" was on purpose. After Sam shows the class her silent film, and has the critiques from her "sidepiece", the film really pick ups. The nuance and insight of the various Black characters resonated and held weight in very poignant contemporary ways. Sam, Coco, Troy, and Lionel are all dynamic and interesting.

For as much as the film is about "who am I", it's a resonant "Blackness is a whole lot of things, beautiful and complicated!"

Also Simien's direction was on point. There were very unique scenes in which angles and cropping where used to show power dynamics in clever ways. Not to add the way the camera floated across settings to the classical compositions was cool. Lastly, the subdued but vibrant earth tones added to the mood and feel of the film, which gave the characters further dimension. Simply put, for as much Spike as Simien has in him, he also has a lot of Wes Anderson.

AND I VERY MUCH ENJOYED the "third act". It needed to happen / unfold the way it did. It was surreal how Simien handled Lionel and Coco's experience with the party, and I dug how he had the Asian and Latinos Unidos join in with BSU to trash shit. Yet, I am with folk, I needed more Reggie, yet for such a crowded film in terms of subjects, I don't know were he would've fit in without making the film longer than need be.

nice debut. Excited for Simien's talent, was well as the actors/actresses. Sam and Coco finer than a mug, and my lady was getting all weak in the knees looking at the enwurd who played Troy.