Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectVery good. And it's not "Okayplayer: The Movie" in the slightest.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115826&mesg_id=116008
116008, Very good. And it's not "Okayplayer: The Movie" in the slightest.
Posted by ZooTown74, Mon Oct-20-14 12:28 PM
Unless you want to argue that there are militant, light-skinned posters, and gay journalists posting here who actually have identity issues.

Because that's really what this movie was about. To some, the fact that it's not 106 minutes of black kids going in on white people, despite the promise of such in the title, will be a disappointment. Kudos to Justin for actually trying to build a story, or a series of stories, about complicated young characters, instead of just making a straight polemic for the lulz. This is a movie that's really about college-age kids trying to figure out - or at least get on the road to figuring out - who they really are. Sam (Tessa Thompson, who's good) and Lionel (Tyler James Williams, also good) are the two glaring examples of this, but there are others in the movie as well. Which points to the only real issue I had with the movie, which is that it felt like Justin bit off a little more than he could chew with regard to all of the stories he tries to tell and points he wants to hit.

That said, I will not shit on his ambition, or the decisions that he ultimately makes, regarding some of the stories and characters.

I also liked the shout outs to his influences: yes, Spike Lee love is all over the movie, but I also detected some Altman in there, as well as some John Hughes, among others.

There's also some very sharp humor in this. Not Earth-shattering, game-changing humor, but nice, observed moments and throwaway pop culture jokes. I also thought the acting was solid across the board.

The bottom line, gang, is that this was an impressive debut. This kid - and the people he's associated with - have a lot more to say, and this is a solid start.

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Some of you post as if rap music taught you how to be hard.