Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: okp isnt a film company
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115826&mesg_id=115880
115880, RE: okp isnt a film company
Posted by SoulHonky, Fri Jun-15-12 11:13 AM
>for that matter school daze was old when spike thought of
>making it
> black people knew about hbcu life decades before the movie
>came out

Had there been a movie about it before that time? You have to admit that this movie plays like a greatest hits of those older movies, which leads to...

>ok so none of you saw avengers or chronicle or prometheus
>or will be seeing spiderman or dark knight
>no one must be watching game of thrones or true blood
>after all this was all done in book form why watch a show
>about it...

Spider-man is the closest example here and it is getting SLAMMED for the "Why do I want to hear this story again?" complaint. Avengers had never been made into a film, Prometheus was a completely different take. To a lesser extent, so were Dark Knight, Chronicle.
The reaction here is more like the Why? response to the shot-by-shot remake of Pyscho than those other films. It's the reason The Thing was met with a ho hum, who gives a shit response.

It's not that people are going to dismiss any movie about race; again, it's that this film brings no fresh look at any of the issues. It doesn't even seem to bring up more modern issues. It doesn't take a look at if from a different vantage point. Replace Tyler Perry with Driving Miss Daisy and you could have convinced me that this film was made in the 90's.
In fact, it seems to have less depth than Do the Right Thing because at least there Sal had a legit argument with his wall being what it was whereas the riot apparently starts in this film because of an obviously racist party.

This film preaches to the choir and that's fine if that's what you want to hear but don't get mad at everyone else when they aren't moved, don't want to listen to it, or don't think you're being fresh, insightful, or relevant when you're doing so.
I could see your issue if people were saying, "Fuck this movie, it should never get made." But we're not. We're saying, "I have no interest in seeing that movie. Pass."