Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject"Post-racial" or Post Racial would have been an interesting topic
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115826&mesg_id=115855
115855, "Post-racial" or Post Racial would have been an interesting topic
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Jun-14-12 03:34 PM
Discussing the legitimacy and problems caused by the existence of the thought that we are post-racial would be interesting and eye-opening.

If the lead girl's response to "You're being racist" was "I can't be. We're post-racial. It's all fair game, right?" Then it might be heading to something fresh. Saying, "Black people can't be racist" is a semantics discussion that been done to death.

>yet when i linked up Ta-Neishi Coate's essay from The
>Atlantic, but he made it specifically about the hollywood
>power structure that even refuses to ackowledge these
>questions, you said he wasn't saying much, lol

Uh, Coates was giving "Girls" a pass. Coates wasn't addressing any of those issues; he was saying they weren't issues because they weren't what the "artist" Lena Dunham was trying to talk about.
Coates is the same guy who says that Donald Trump and George Wallace (the infamous Governor of Alabama from the 60's) weren't racist because they just did racist things but didn't REALLY believe racist dogma. That dude's view of racism is as suspect as anyone's I've ever seen in my life. He's good a good writing style but I think his view of racism is all over the place.

Coates spent an entire article saying, "You know what. These are problems. But now that I have to face it in real life and not in the hypothetical, I'm going to give it a pass."

He did the same thing with X-Men: First Class.

>>Saying people now need two black friends isn't fresh. The
>idea
>>of The Black Friend is out of date. White kids don't even
>>think they need black friends anymore. Obama's everyone's
>>black friend now!
>
>WTF

Do you really think people nowadays say borderline racist shit and say "But I have a black friend?" People are far more dismissive of race as a problem. We're post-racial! We've got a black President. That's what people think nowadays.

For instance, Lesley Arfin isn't an exception. It's not seen as wrong by many people, white and black, when she responds to complaints of Girls' whiteness with her "Precious" tweet. And many people of all races barely bat an eyelash when she writes something a ridiculous as, "Nigger" is a great word. It just packs so much punch. The two g's next to each other are like literal two G's, broin' out, tough as nails, them against the world. It gives me chills that a word can hold so much power, it really makes me feel like I chose the right profession."

For many white people, post-racial means they can say shit and not have to have a black friend to defend them. "Dear White People" plays more like a period pieces set in the 90's than something today.

>yet, just last month @ Colombia and Chicago U Black women were
>verbally and physically assualted by White frat boys, but
>because they've been discussed/depicted in 90s films, we
>should just you know, not talk about it anymore

And the Ku Klux Klan still exists. Would this movie seem fresh if the KKK was the villain?

If you're trying to present a fresh take on modern racism, going back to the old standards of racism and not addressing the new face of prejudice seems stale. It's like saying you're going to write a film about the new globalized world and make the Nazis the bad guys.
I'm sorry that I'm not blown away by a sarcastic version of School Daze/Higher Learning or think that it is somehow of the time.

>ohh so just create the reactionary inversion film and that's
>cool?

It's fresher than making the same film. And I think it can be spun as a discussion of the modern racism which is more about including people like one's self, not actively excluding others.

And I'm not sure how "reactionary" is a bad thing since this film is supposed to be modern. The problem with this film is that it's not reactionary to new issues.

>>Or if you want to get deeper, have it about someone
>wondering
>>why they should even be "black" in the post-racial,
>>cablanasian era?
>O_o

Yep. It's the questions that get that reaction from you, and feeling that some people do feel, that make for fresh and interesting movies. Not a rehash of the tropes we've all seen before.