Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWhat present day issues?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115826&mesg_id=115852
115852, What present day issues?
Posted by SoulHonky, Thu Jun-14-12 12:33 PM
It's not just Been There, Done That. It's that the film isn't looking at the Been There and Done That and compare it to the Be Here, Doing This of today.

The perfect example is the opening scene. That's basically a modern version of the opening bit of Burn, Hollywood, Burn from Public Enemy. Except the problem isn't that it's been done before, it's that they're complaining about a black filmmaker and a black story in Red Tails and don't seem to realize that that IS progress, in a sense. (And judging from the website, it doesn't look like the filmmakers even get the difference.)

If it doesn't even address and judge the progress that has been made and whether it was good or bad, how can it talk about how far people have come? Instead this film covers the same shit that has been fodder for jokes for decades.

The post-racial debate isn't about Red Tails or Tyler Perry, it's about Girls and whether you even want white people trying to write non-white characters. It's about whether they should have to. If they should even consider it. It's about whether those characters should be defined by their race at all or if any race could have played the characters. It's the idea of whether tokenism was really ever progress and if it should stop. It's about the silent prejudice of why Girls will get a push from Judd Apatow but a black show wouldn't get the same love. It's how people now don't exclude, they just don't worry about inclusion.
(If the discussion is about Tyler Perry, it's why black people feel the need to diss one black voice in their quest to have their own voice heard.)

Saying people now need two black friends isn't fresh. The idea of The Black Friend is out of date. White kids don't even think they need black friends anymore. Obama's everyone's black friend now! We live in a time on nonchalant hipster racism and this film is about blatantly evil white frat guys that was a tired trope even in the 90's. (I mean, if you're making a comedy about changing times, at least make it about black people wondering if they need a white friend or something.)

Or if you want to get deeper, have it about someone wondering why they should even be "black" in the post-racial, cablanasian era?

Bottom line, if you told me this movie was made in the 90's, I would believe you.

Better yet, if you told me this trailer was made by a white person, I'd believe you.