Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI tend to dislike reading into movies in that way. (SPOILER)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115567&mesg_id=115792
115792, I tend to dislike reading into movies in that way. (SPOILER)
Posted by Cold Truth, Tue Oct-08-13 12:20 AM
I prefer to view it as-is, at face value with a pinch of salt, unless the intent is expressed and overt. I think plenty (not all) of subtext is created in the minds of consumers, but ultimately isn't the intent of the writer. People have a way of reinforcing their own worldview when interpreting art, and that's telling. That isn't to say every interpretation is filtered entirely through ones own belief system, but from what I've seen I am lead to believe it to be a sound rule of thumb.

I get the impression that you're a firm believer in everything you took from the movie. Personally, you could easily view the Clooney Ghost as the Hand of God, as you alluded to.

It could be viewed quite simply as the general power of the human spirit (little s, not big S) without attaching a darwinian or religious tone to it. Many will view that through the scope of prevailing belief systems, but it's not necessary.

The simplest answer, and potentially the most obvious and profound, is that she simply felt she owed a debt to Kowalski. He died so that she might live, and how awful would it be for his well meaning sacrifice to be made in vain? That level of personal conscience can be a powerful spark if you ask me.

Why would people have that drive?

Evolution! God!

Not really. It can just be. People can consciously choose to want to live, in much the same way Kowalski could consciously choose not to panic and flip out and keep his cool. You could attach all manner of ideology to it, however the final word comes from the individual and their stance. Some people will say they simply want to live, and no matter what perspective *you* or *I* attach to that drive, it's very possible that it has zero bearing on them.

To me, writing a character that DOESN'T seem to have much to live for is much more interesting than someone who is scrapping tooth and nail to get home to their proverbial American Dream. That's a much more powerful tale if you ask me. In the end, that slant naturally creates the question of why. Not in a speculative, Sopranos "what do you think happened?" sort of way, in in the way that you would ask Stone herself what drove her.

To me, wondering what her driving motivators is infinitely more interesting and thought provoking than "Well, it's in our DNA to survive". Of course, that would also beg the far greater philosophical questions of why humans generally make so many choices that are antithetical to survival of their genetic material up to and including suicide.