Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectWill_5198 summed it up perfectly.......
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115567&mesg_id=115761
115761, Will_5198 summed it up perfectly.......
Posted by princeguy, Mon Oct-07-13 10:12 AM
wILL_5198'S post was absolutely DEAD ON:

"there are three or four scenes here that rank among the most awe-inducing I've ever seen. it's rare for any film to have that kind of raw, shocking power -- I felt like I was seeing a new benchmark, like Jurassic Park's CGI, Cinemascope or the first talkie.

unfortunately, Cuarón didn't bother to fill out the rest of the movie. the script is shockingly weak, with notes of spirituality and perseverance that seem to lampoon his own prior work. not that I needed more ambition -- simple is good. but simple overdressed with painful banter, bad characterization, and thematic orchestral cues that would make John Williams cringe is not good.

it's the new Avatar: a movie with absolutely no substance, but successful as an experience. see it in 3D this month or not at all."
- Will_5198

This movie had some "next level" type visuals, but the story was strongly lacking. ONLY SEE THIS MOVIE IN 3D. If you won't see it in 3D, don't bother watching it at all. Preferably IMAX 3D, but regular 3D should be okay. I saw it in IMAX 3D.

For people who enjoy movies for the story. You will not like this movie. For those who are intrigued and stimulated by the visuals and experience of the visuals and effects, you will like this movie.