Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthere's enough explanation for the purposes of the story
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=114807&mesg_id=114826
114826, there's enough explanation for the purposes of the story
Posted by theprofessional, Mon Sep-13-10 01:29 AM
but way too little for the subject matter. like i said above, there's just so many incredibly interesting ethical and scientific issues surrounding human cloning. the world of the film (as sporadically and briefly described, especially at the end by madame) is fascinating. a world where cancer and many other diseases have been cured, but at the expense of few (hundred? thousand? million?) clones who are used for experimentation and organ harvesting. it brings up an endless amount of questions, the foremost for me being: why don't the clones try to escape? or revolt? is there something that obviously marks them as clones? have they just been so indoctrinated and psychologically manipulated that they're resigned to their fate? also, can they reproduce? with all the sex tommy and ruth were having, i halfway expected ruth to come through pregnant at some point. then what?

of course, none of this has much to do with the story, which is basically a classic love triangle between kathy, tommy, and ruth. in that respect, we get all the explanation we need about the world they live in. but it's kind of a letdown. when you introduce a world this interesting, i think the audience is gonna want to play in it a little bit.

EDIT: although i should say that some movies go too far in the other direction and explain too much. it almost makes it more believable that everyone accepts this futuristic world as it is and doesn't really discuss it much, because that's how things generally work. and i can respect that. for my tastes though, i didn't think the love story was strong enough to make me not feel the desire to go exploring outside. for example, a film like children of men, where it's a setting that introduces a million questions, but the smaller story is so strong that you don't necessarily need to know the whys and hows of the futuristic world they're in.