Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthe keys were definitely a statement
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=114125&mesg_id=114298
114298, the keys were definitely a statement
Posted by buckshot defunct, Wed Oct-02-13 10:38 AM
But the interpretation I'm going with is that the writers were basically answering his prayers, and were gonna see to it that he got what he wanted. "Give me this one impossible thing (not just finding the keys, but the cops not finding him, etc.) and I'll make sure the rest of the plot stays relatively hole free."

I like this dead Walt theory and it's something I'd considered – the ending reminded me of Taxi Driver, and that's one where I definitely ride with the 'dying fantasy' theory

But you can't just point to the dream logic of this one episode and ignore the precedents set for it throughout the series. Lots of convenient, unlikely shit has happened along the way to get Walt to this point. Does that mean he died in Season 1? Trying to separate the 'real' story from the 'imaginary' story is often a fool's errand when the whole story is in fact imaginary. Just because your suspension of disbelief runs out, it doesn't mean the show's storytelling mechanics have ceased to function.

And the whole "I was alive" thing, it's like people are looking for literal ways to back up their nonliteral interpretation. Walt IS dead, he IS a ghost, but not necessarily in the 'Who you gonna call' sense.