Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOh, you're an amateur psychiatrist who thinks this is deeper than it is.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=113604&mesg_id=113759
113759, Oh, you're an amateur psychiatrist who thinks this is deeper than it is.
Posted by Cold Truth, Sun Aug-25-13 01:02 PM
>But okay, now that you've set me straight – I'm still not
>buying "it's imaginary" as a good reason to root for Walt.
>Hank is imaginary, too, right?

LOL@you not buying something that's a fact. Further, you're making a dense-as-hell connection. Being imaginary simply means that there are no real world consequences, therefore there's no *actual* moral issue in rooting for Walt. Saying "Hank is imaginary too!" as though that changes anything is absurd. The point is that whomever one chooses sides with, it's not real and there are no real moral consequences.

>So rooting for *anybody* is investing a certain amount of
>yourself into the story.

To you I guess, but not to me. I love how you stay with this black and white perspective as though everyone watches tv the way you do.

Maybe you're rooting for Walt by
>default because he's the main character, or maybe there's
>something in you that makes you want to see him win. And I'm
>just curious to know what that thing is.

That's just plain old over-analyzing it. It's a tv show. I'd like to see the bad guy win. It's simple. There's no deep seated reason for that. Cry about it.

>And I wouldn't say Hank necessarily mirrors my real-life
>morality either, but he's just about the closest anchor I've
>got at this point. So I'm still not viewing this the same way
>I would if it was real life,

No, but it's clear that you're viewing it from a perspective of real world right and wrong, and you've definitely chosen- in your own words- your closest anchor. That's all good, I'm just saying that you're trying to paint everyone else into the same category as yourself

but I'm definitely investing
>myself into it more than I would the average TV show, because
>I think the show has earned that level of investment.

I love this show, I dunno about "investing myself" outside of my time. It's just a tv show to me.

>Sounds good you seem like a fun guy

I'm a real riot, a regular barrel of monkeys :)