Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthese are light-years better than previous years
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=113586&mesg_id=113588
113588, these are light-years better than previous years
Posted by theprofessional, Wed Mar-05-14 02:54 PM
i don't know if it's because so many heavy-hitters this year (12 years, gravity, WoWS, etc.) were geared to our demographic, whether the new voting system actually encouraged more participation or less vanity (since our votes are no longer all in one post, but in several for each category), or whether my incessant whining finally shamed the PTP snobs out of voting for the unsuccessful artsty-fartsy indies that typically dominate the lattes (i.e. frances ha). whatever the reason, these are the best noms and awards i can remember coming out of PTP.

major latte W's:

- we rejected the dallas buyers club oscar bait. not even a nom for alrightalrightalright, who was better in other films this year.

- one nom (a deserving amy adams) and zero chips for american hustle. nothing for fat batman, nothing for david o. russell. think the oscars also shut out hustle, which hopefully means everyone's gonna stop treating every mediocre movie russell makes like they're the second coming of dramatic cinema, instead of what they are: slightly more serious and more pretentious judd apatow flicks.

- yeah, yeah, lupita. pretty much everyone got that right, but we have a legitimate claim to getting it righter. j-law in '70s hair had been giving her a run everywhere else and even won a few, i think, which is the absolute height of ridiculousness, a complete and utter embarrassment.

- not falling into the cate blanchett groupthink that had this year's awards season in its deadly clutches. she was good. sandy was way better.

even the winners i disagree with, it's hard to take issue. these are films people here have seen and actually enjoyed. they've sparked posts filled with discussions and anticipation and praise, as opposed to previous years where we were handing out best picture noms to films where the official post had, like, 10 replies in it. these are the type of results you'd expect to see from our demographic. we can be proud of these results. congrats to everyone and pat yourselves on the back for not turning this year's lattes into the AARP art house empty theater awards.