Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI Me Mine:
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=112877&mesg_id=112878
112878, I Me Mine:
Posted by buckshot defunct, Sun Jun-03-07 08:17 PM
Carter Beats the Devil (Gold) - Maaaaaad props to our own lonesome_d for the suggestion. This book was funny, suspenseful, touching... basically everything I could reasonably want from a novel. In a similar vein to 'Kavalier & Clay', and while I hesitate to say it's better, it's probably more consistent and has a stronger finish.

David Boring (Clowes) - Gotta rep for the funnybooks set. Now this, this was something else. The author once jokingly described this book as "like Fassbinder meets half-baked Nabokov on Gilligan's Island." Sure, why not. Anyway, I loved it. Gorgeous, weird, and just as good as any Clowes I've read (which is more or less all of it at this point).

The Corrections (Franzen) - Figured I'd give this one a shot, as it comes highly recommended. Not finished quite yet, but so far so good. Good writing, strong humor, sharp observations and utterly unlikeable characters. Not a bad mix.