Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBut why not give in?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=111376&mesg_id=111441
111441, But why not give in?
Posted by buckshot defunct, Fri Nov-20-09 05:17 PM
That's what I don't think is clearly communicated in Twilight. Dude keeps telling her how he'd hate to turn her into a vampire and shit, but the concept of vampires is so ridiculously romanticized that it's hard to understand what's so bad about it. They look cool, they drive awesome cars, they live in a mansion, they don't have to go to sleep, they're great at baseball. The only downside is you stay a cool teenager forever and you sparkle in the sunlight. To what 13 year old girl is that a deterrent?

I guess that's what I'm getting at. The parable's there I suppose, it's just too poorly constructed for me to consider it one.

And (spoiler) they eventually do get down, from what I've heard of the books. Though that might be after they're married, which would go even farther to prove your point. It's definitely a conservative take on things, but in watching the movie I couldn't figure out if it was due to some intentional political shit, or some unintentional fairy tale shit.