Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectthe thing about Coen Bros. movies...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=111163&mesg_id=111186
111186, the thing about Coen Bros. movies...
Posted by BigWorm, Sun Sep-14-08 06:09 PM
Basically all the negative criticism I'm reading here is the virtually the same that I heard directly after every Coen Bros movie, including The Big Lebowski:

-funny, but I didn't laugh as much as I thought
-good but definitely one of my least favorite Coen Bros. films...
-The ending left me unsatisfied and disappointed.

I've seen all of their flicks except half of Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers. Oh and I've yet to see this one, but I will soon. I think one of the features that permeate in almost all of their films is that first, the humor really seems to take multiple viewings to really come out...or at least their will be plenty of humor that takes a while to digest. Next To Wes Anderson, I can't think of many other directors who make movies that almost require repeated viewings to be fully appreciated, just because they ride on so many subtleties.

Two...aren't they notorious for making endings that somehow screw with audience expectation, or at least go against what you want or think you're going to see at the end. Fargo, The Big Lebowski, No Country For Old Men, Raising Arizona, Barton Fink--they all kind of leave you hanging or partially unsatisfied by the end. I think it forces you to, well either hate the movie, or realize that the driving plot devices--usually some large amount of money, and who's going to get it--is really beside the point, and that it's all about those little details.

Anyway, just an early thought. I'll probably see it this week.