Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSpike's best film since
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=11101&mesg_id=11170
11170, Spike's best film since
Posted by actualfact, Thu Jan-30-03 05:24 PM
"Do The Right Thing" maybe "Malcolm" but Denzel's performance was so stunning that I can't tell if it is a truly amazing film or a very solid film w/ a truly amazing peformance driving it. That being said, this is definately Spike's most mature work. Finally an ending to a Spike Lee film that is both believable and works within the film's context (that "i am malcolm x" shit killed me).
Just saw it again.

I have to agree w/ most above: Great performances all around. Pepper stole the show but he was given the flashy role. Rosario Dawson was the weakest link but so was her character. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Anna Paquin nailed the E experience. Brian Cox was the weight of the film and given his screen time, and the fact that the majority of his lines were voice over, that's a hell of an accomplishment. post 9/11 NYC was obviously a character but i don't think it overwhelmed the film and Spike gets kudos for not going overboard

The Cinematography was really what got me. The scene in the stock market w/ the reflections was killer. Good use of Spike's trademark bleaching effect so that it wasn't overdone. The scene outside Bridge where he's talking to the bouncer was so dope.

Loved the editing and the way it doubled up.

And he broke the axis line which i thought was a nice touch.

Plotwise, it played real slow the second time, but it isn't a plot driven movie. You can only have so much forward progress in one day and a few flashbacks. However, I disagree w/ those that felt the PSH/AP relationship didn't belong in the film. It had to do w/ making the right choice, about whether you'll jeapordize all you have, all you've worked for, for something. He did the Monty thing. And the great thing is, it was left open. Shit she could run and tell everyone he kissed her and that's his ASS.

The Club sequence was brilliant. Spike through in the Martin Scorcese shots which i dug. It's the sequence that really drew the audience into the film.

Oh, and yes, he went to prison. His dad drove on right passed the bridge. It'd be a fucking cop out if he ran. There would've been no consequences to his actions. I'd have disliked the film. He's going to do is bid. The good thing is, he'll see his dad again. He'll truly be free. That whole dream sequence and all that it held is lost. It didn't happen and that's what makes it so touching. He could've had all that but no. Monty served his bid. Everything we learn about the character says that he would. Not to mention they kept on heading North.

Great film. One of the best of 2002.