Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=11101
11101, 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by Deacon Blues, Tue Dec-17-02 03:37 PM

Anybody know anything about this. i just saw the previews and it looks interesting with Edward Norton playing the lead
11102, Rosario Dawson
Posted by sungod1, Wed Dec-18-02 05:08 AM
is in it so its already on my to do list
11103, cosign.
Posted by Science_Fiction, Tue Dec-31-02 01:17 AM
[]
11104, RE: Rosario Dawson
Posted by supablak, Tue Jan-14-03 01:54 PM
she's on my to do list too.

s.blak
s.dawson
11105, Great, great film.
Posted by Numba_33, Sun Dec-22-02 09:20 AM
I don't want to give away too much from the film cause its better to go in not knowing too much, but this easily rivals X and Do The Right Thing as Spike's best film. The way the characters were fully developed made up for the mess Spike made with Bamboozled. Don't know if its fair to compare the two since its not 100% fair to use an artist's past work to measure their current shit, but this was thorough. The way the characters were developed kind of reminds me of the way X developed Malcolm X's character to the point you somewhat felt you knew Malcom...but to a somewhat lesser extent since the movie dealt with more characters. I dunno, if peoples want me to reveal more, I will, but its better to go see the movie without knowing to much. Definately worth the 10 bucks I paid to see it.
11106, RE: Great, great film.
Posted by Deacon Blues, Sun Dec-22-02 07:43 PM

Thanks, now I'm excited!
11107, were the female character(s) developed?
Posted by nappiness, Mon Jan-06-03 09:00 AM
spike cant write female characters, they are usually one dimensional.
11108, RE: were the female character(s) developed?
Posted by sevencents, Mon Jan-06-03 09:18 AM
>spike cant write female characters, they are usually one
>dimensional.

There are only 2 female characters in the entire film and both of them are very one dimensional which is a shame because I felt that was one of the few flaws in the film. The only thing you learn about Naturalle (Rosario Dawson) is that she is fine as hell.

I think that Crooklyn was the only one of Spike's films that actually has strong and developed female characters in it.

11109, RE: were the female character(s) developed?
Posted by Numba_33, Mon Jan-06-03 07:40 PM
Have to agree with what the above poster said. I don't want to give away part of the plot, but the younger female character wasn't really fully utilized properly and the conflict she created was sort of out of place in the film, somewhat like the bullshit in Bamboozled, but not to the grand scale in Bamboozled.

All in all though, considering that the movie is centered around Ed Norton's character, I think this should slide a little bit.
11110, spike didn't write it
Posted by BossHogg, Tue Jan-14-03 02:10 PM
it's based on a book (of the same title) by david benioff. and he wrote the screenplay too.

11111, 1 of the best NYC movies.....
Posted by sevencents, Sun Dec-29-02 11:30 AM
This is one of Spike Lee's best movies and also one of the best NYC movies made in a long time. The city is not just the location for the film, but a supporting character as well. Anyone who is from here, lives here, or has spent time here, will apreciate the realness of how the city is presented. Spike also did a real great job of showing a post-9.11 NYC, without taking away from the storyline. The 'fuck you' segment had me in hysterics.

11112, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by jigga, Mon Dec-30-02 12:48 PM
When is it gonna be released nation-wide (or @ least in Seattle) and why the limited release thus far?
11113, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by jigga, Thu Jan-02-03 01:54 PM
>When is it gonna be released nation-wide (or @ least in
>Seattle) and why the limited release thus far?

Anyone? Bueller?

11114, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by dillinjah, Thu Jan-02-03 06:08 PM
It'll be out nationwide Jan. 10
11115, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by allison, Thu Jan-02-03 11:00 PM
thanks ;-)

11116, Respectfully dissent.
Posted by Miles, Fri Jan-03-03 09:48 AM
This is a movie review. As always, expect spoilers.

Let me preface by admitting that I had high expectations. Spike's movies always give a little more -- whether it be visuals, shock value, and then some. So I trekked into the hell that is Times Square to see 25th Hour as it is only playing in three theaters in the City, and I didn't feel like going crosstown.

First off, the acting was fantastic. Edward Norton is the man, as always. Barry Pepper really came through, which was a complete shock and delight to me. Philip Seymour Hoffman can really do no wrong. Brian Cox rocks. Rosario Dawson sucks as an actress, but she gets a pass for being the sexiest woman in movies.

Unfortunately, the movie is not at all plot driven. As one person said, New York does not merely act as the setting, but it is another character. Fuck that. New York was the whole damn movie. And generally, I love New York movies. Woody Allen, Igby Goes Down, etc. Fuck, I loved Vanilla Sky and was able to sit through Streets of New York (another Rosario Dawson flick) just because they made good use of the City.

Basically, I felt this movie would have worked better as a photo album, or a slide show, because Spike most definitely delivered some beautiful and poignant pictures of New York. Unfortunately, Spike doesn't make slide shows or photo albums, so instead he made a fairly shitty movie, and used it as a vehicle to displays his images.

11117, I enjoyed it...
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jan-03-03 10:38 AM
mainly because of the characters and acting performances but I cant really say it was that good.

As mentioned above, the film seemed to have not much to do with the plot and at times i felt the film was just all over the place. I liked the NY sequences but sometimes they just seemed more like tangents. Norton, Hoffman, Pepper were all GREAT. I would have liked to have seen more Brian Cox but as always he was great in his role.

Not that great a movie IMO but an enjoyable experience (for me) nonetheless

11118, RE: I enjoyed it...
Posted by jigga, Fri Jan-03-03 11:29 AM
Good 2 hear that you and the previous cat enjoyed Barry Peppers performance. I think he's poised 4 big things. I'm still lookin forward 2 checkin this out next Friday...finally
11119, Tobey Maguire
Posted by actualfact, Sat Jan-04-03 11:33 AM
has a producing credit. interesting
"
and i think the trailer wins the award for "most songs in a theatrical trailer" award

i'm looking forward to seeing this
11120, Re
Posted by lovely1, Sun Jan-05-03 10:28 PM
I saw it last nite. It was a cool ass movie. I like all of spike movies. well I didn't like girl 6 at all, but all the rest I liked, and this one is no different.
11121, RE: Tobey Maguire
Posted by jigga, Mon Jan-06-03 09:56 AM
I hear he was supposed 2 star in it. Ed Norton took over after he turned it down.
11122, RE: Tobey Maguire
Posted by jack abbott, Mon Jan-06-03 09:50 PM
he turned it down because he was a little too preoccupied with a little film called "Spiderman" to devote his full attention to it. He mentions this in an interview i saw recently, i want to say it was with Charlie Rose.
11123, RE: Tobey Maguire
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 11:01 AM
>he turned it down because he was a little too preoccupied
>with a little film called "Spiderman" to devote his full
>attention to it. He mentions this in an interview i saw
>recently, i want to say it was with Charlie Rose.

Good thing he turned it down. Altho I like him now as an actor (sold after Cider House and Wonder Boys) I dont think he could've executed the role of Monty as well as Norton did. Not 2 take anything away from Tobey but Norton was perfectly cast along w/ Hoffman and Pepper

11124, Charlie Rose is the truth.
Posted by rhchick, Tue Jan-21-03 09:36 AM
I saw that credit and did a double take.

11125, i saw it last night
Posted by SherronShabazz, Tue Jan-07-03 05:15 AM
fabulous. great movie. everything a movie should be... its a must see. its not like its spikes comeback movie or anything. in my head spike has never left....but for a lot of people it will be his comeback movie. i guess bamboozled was crap to some. this was a good movie. a must see. funny, exciting, lots of good dialouge, a little bit of action and suspense, and a lot of the stuff that spike is famous for. a great movie.
11126, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by zigbfree, Tue Jan-07-03 05:22 AM
ANything with Rosario Dawson I;m checking for.
11127, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by SherronShabazz, Tue Jan-07-03 05:44 AM
ya know?!?! lol
11128, RE: Even...
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-07-03 08:22 AM
>ya know?!?! lol

...Men in Black 2? If so...WARNING!!!
11129, RE: 25th hour (new Spike Joint)
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 10:53 AM
Barry Peppers line about Bin Laden droppin another one next door and him still not movin was spoken like a true New Yorker.

This movie was excellent. Great cast and great performances. The movie goes thru a nice range of emotions. Usually no one can steal scenes from Norton or Hoffman but Pepper does in this movie. Dont get me wrong, Norton and Hoffman are still wonderful but IMO Pepper was excellent. From his hilarious opening scene @ his job 2 the finale w/ that pantented scowl he seems 2 own, he gave a top notch performance. His charater never beat around the bush he just came out and spoke his mind and didnt give a fuck. I loved it.

And I also enjoyed the ending. The whole flick I wanted 2 see Norton get outta the prison sentence one way or another as long as it wasnt death and especially not suicide.(*SPOILER*) I'm gonna choose 2 believe that his Dad did drive him 2 the desert 2 start a new life, altho the girl I saw it w/ was crying @ the end cuz she went w/ the notion that he was just dreaming and that eventually he gets dropped off @ the prison.

I'll definitly be seeing this one again...soon
11130, Not a notion (spoilers)
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-14-03 11:16 AM

cuz she went w/ the
>notion that he was just dreaming and that eventually he gets
>dropped off @ the prison.
>

He DID go to prison.
11131, RE: NOOOOOOOO!!!
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 01:03 PM
>
> cuz she went w/ the
>>notion that he was just dreaming and that eventually he gets
>>dropped off @ the prison.
>>
>
>He DID go to prison.

The final scene shows him in the car...still moving. They're heading West so he can start a new life. Now if Spike would've ended the flick w/ him gettin dropped off @ the prison...I'd have no argument

11132, RE: NOOOOOOOO!!!(spoiler)
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Tue Jan-14-03 01:10 PM
Just because the car wsa still moving doesn't mean that he was definitely going west. I am pretty sure that he was headed to prison, (thats how the book ends) but ther was enough vaguneness there for someone to think he was headed west.

11133, Actually, being a New Yorker
Posted by MightyHealthy, Tue Jan-21-03 10:41 AM
that drives, I am confident in saying that the car was still heading NORTH, the direction of Otisville correctional facility, not WEST, as the dad had suggested.
11134, You're in denial Jigga n/m
Posted by Mynoriti, Tue Jan-14-03 02:11 PM

11135, RE: I know
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 02:32 PM
I just dont wanna admit it.
11136, Okay, this is a stretch here...
Posted by Remedial, Thu Jan-16-03 05:15 AM
But maybe, just maybe, the ending was left open (contrary to the ending of the book) to have guys like ya'll arguing over what really happened, which is usually what happens when you leave it up to the viewers' imagination.
11137, R. Kelly
Posted by brother_donte, Fri Jan-17-03 05:18 PM
>Barry Peppers line about Bin Laden droppin another one next
>door and him still not movin was spoken like a true New
>Yorker.

That crack he made about PSH's character trying to be R. Kelly was hilarious.

BROTHER_DONTE
(formerly known as misteranonymity--if anyone really cares)
misterbrother@aol.com

"Fuck gettin' money for real, get freedom"
--Tariq Trotter

11138, RE: R. Kelly
Posted by triumph, Tue Jan-21-03 07:34 AM
best line in the movie.....interesting where I saw it none of the white folks got the joke...bros and sisters were cracking UP!
11139, A.K.A. The One with All the White Folk
Posted by DawgEatah, Tue Jan-14-03 11:38 AM
Just playin'. Sorry, couldn't resist. Besides, you know that was thining the same thing.

I dig this film. I don't think it is his best work, but I will say that it is his most mature film. I think that Spike has mastered his film-matic devices and really come into his own. Damn, that sounded nerdy. But anyway, i think it is definitely worth a peep.

And the sound on that joint is ill. I love the DJ's music in the club in srround sound. Shit was bangin'. Performances were all on point. Norton is the man. His two buddies were funny as hell. Rosario was dooooooooope. Characters were cool - loved the fat russian friend character, not to mention the head cop who busts Norton... Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiit.

I feel what cats are saying about the film not being plot driven, but i think it still worked. A great character-study if anything else, and a lot of fun to watch.

Every battle is a chance to see another cat lose to me/I don't write battle raps. I write eulogies. ~Blueprint

Every dog has his day, and even more so in rhymin'/So I decided that I'd never play the fire hydrant. ~Blueprint

11140, RE: U mean Do tha White Thang?
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 02:22 PM
the sound on that joint is ill.

No doubt, even the music playing during the opening credits, and then later on when he's walkin his dawg.

I love the DJ's music
>in the club in srround sound. Shit was bangin'.

Yeah that was the 1st time I can recall hearing the music go back n forth from speaker 2 speaker. Nice touch.

>Performances were all on point. Norton is the man. His two
>buddies were funny as hell. Rosario was dooooooooope.
>Characters were cool - loved the fat russian friend
>character

Ex Baltimore Raven football star Tony Siragusa. Didnt recognize him @ the begining w/ the 5 o'clock shadow

not to mention the head cop who busts Norton...
>Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiit.

Yeah that dude was funny as hell.

>I feel what cats are saying about the film not being plot
>driven, but i think it still worked. A great
>character-study if anything else, and a lot of fun to watch.

Definitly. I'll be seeing it again real soon

11141, slightly off topic
Posted by BossHogg, Tue Jan-14-03 02:15 PM
but was anyone else offended by the coming attractions before this movie?

all sorts of 'urban' and/or 'hip-hop' films.

why? just cuz it's spike lee? the content of the movies could not have been less similar. yet there i was watching that motorcycle bullshit and that wacky pairing of queen latifah and steve martin.

the fuck?

11142, hmm
Posted by AZ, Tue Jan-14-03 02:29 PM
the previews when i saw it were all for independent movies, none of that queen latifah bs.
11143, RE: slightly off topic
Posted by jigga, Tue Jan-14-03 02:30 PM
>but was anyone else offended by the coming attractions
>before this movie?
>
>all sorts of 'urban' and/or 'hip-hop' films.
>
>why? just cuz it's spike lee? the content of the movies
>could not have been less similar. yet there i was watching
>that motorcycle bullshit and that wacky pairing of queen
>latifah and steve martin.
>
>the fuck?

The only "urban" trailer I saw was the Latifah one. The other trailers all looked good. The Recruit, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and The Good Thief

11144, wow
Posted by BossHogg, Tue Jan-14-03 02:40 PM
well i saw the movie in downtown nyc and like i said the only trailers were totally targeted towards black audiences exclusively and it freaked me out.

i'm glad you two had different experiences. but why didn't i?
11145, Me too
Posted by Mynoriti, Wed Jan-15-03 07:22 AM
The Latifah movie, Biker Boys, The DMX movie
11146, RE: slightly off topic
Posted by smitty, Wed Jan-15-03 07:42 PM
off topic even more...

you know how the movie starts and the whole screen is black and all you hear is a dog getting beat?...i thought it was a preview for another movie and i couldn't help laughing out loud and thinking to myself that whatever movie it was, i wanted to see it coz it was gonna be twisted...
11147, ha
Posted by nighttripper, Mon Jan-20-03 01:42 PM
I, and the people that were with me, noticed that shit too. We got exactly the same trailers as you did, plus one for the new flick with Nick Nolte and a bunch of french actors*. They had to throw one for the artsy folks that still check for Spike, you know?

*(as a sidenote, the fact that they only say Nolte's name was another source of amusement for me...)

11148, the club scene...
Posted by carrot juice, Wed Jan-15-03 06:31 AM
bobitto "consulted" for the club scene... now, i don't know if he actually did the mixes (i guess so), but i HAD to hit a dancefloor after seeing that... i had some serious hot foot!
11149, RE: the club scene...
Posted by screamfenix, Fri Jan-17-03 08:23 PM
cipha sounds played the dj, i dont know if he actually cut though
11150, those cuts
Posted by Dreadmedia, Sun Jan-19-03 07:19 AM
were pretty great

i had to thin about it and not too many DJ;s really cut thoserecords up at mainstream parties
11151, song playing when he's going up the stairs?
Posted by triumph, Mon Jan-20-03 04:41 PM
what is the song playing when Phillip Seymour Hoffman is goign up to the bathroom to kiss his student? There's a wicked bassline and then the cowbell comes in for percussion... I waited for the track listings at the end...I know it but none of the titles I saw rang a bell except for 'Cavern' by Liquid Liquid, but I read that was the sample for 'White Lines'...help gott have that cut...used to love that backin the day..holla if ya can help
11152, RE: song playing when he's going up the stairs?
Posted by baldrick, Thu Jan-30-03 03:56 PM
i'm pretty, well (99%) sure the song you are referring to is "Bra" by UK funk band Cymande. I remember it better though when Philip Seymour Hoffman is drifting away in that trademark Spike shot. Spike always seems to find dope ways to use music in films. I don't know if I can hear "Living For The City" by Stevie these days without thinking of THAT Jungle Fever scene.

11153, Good, Not Great.
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Jan-15-03 11:16 PM
A very interesting two plus hours. A decent character study, but...in one of my screenwriting classes, I was told that if I had secondary characters that were more interesting than my lead character, then my script would be in trouble. Sadly, I felt this was the case here. I really didn't care for Monty at all. I guess the point of the pre-credit opening was to establish him as a caring dude, but as the story went on, I could care less. I mean, I understood the ideas about friendship, loyalty, growing up and what not, but ultimately I just didn't care about Monty's fate. It's always a tricky thing for writers to try to pull off: the "humane" drug dealer, since going in we all have our own preconceived notions of what drug dealers do to us (all of us). These notions may have colored my view towards Monty, but I feel like it's Benioff's and Spike's and Ed Norton's responsibility to make me care about this guy, and I didn't think they went far enough with it.

Don't get it twisted, Norton's up to his usual good acting tricks, but to me, the standout performance was Barry Pepper. Sure, his role was the showiest of the three males, but he got his lines off perfectly. And he had the line of the movie, which I won't give away except to say that I'm sure Spike was the one who came up with it (and yes, I know David Benioff wrote the script). And to think Entertainment Weekly's Shaw Report said he was "out." Fuck Jessica Shaw!

The female characters were underdeveloped. As sexy as she was in that silver dress (and later in sweats), Rosario didn't have much to do except dance in the club and look forlorn at Ed Norton. Anna Paquin's character was interesting, and really played off Phillip Seymour Hoffman very well. These two would be great...if they were given their own movie. It felt like they fell into the wrong movie. With that being said, however, they felt more like a believable couple than Norton and Rosario did. I was more interested in their dynamic. I wanted to see/know what became of their relationship. I think that's because the scene in the classroom and the one after it did such a good job of establishing these people and *making me care* about what happened to them.

Oh, and the main DEA cat had my dyin': "Sheeeeeeit."

Brian Cox didn't really get to shine until the last 25 minutes or so. Speaking of which, regarding that last half hour or so, I can honestly say that that was the only time in the movie when I truly made an emotional connection with Monty. The scene with Pepper and Hoffman, and the later scene/montage with Brian Cox narrating were both powerful sequences. But that was about it.

Technical stuff. As usual, Terence Blanchard proves that he should be getting more scoring work out here in Hollywood. Great shit. I almost bought the score. I was surprised to see Spike working with a new DP on this one, as opposed to Malik Sayeed. Not surprisingly, there was less of a reliance on film effects (I'm referring to the film bleaching processed used to death in previous films, NOT the trademark Spike Lee "floating" dolly shots. And yes, I know, we saw some bleaching in this film as well).

This is a total and complete New York movie. If you think of it on that level, it's great. While I enjoyed it, and would recommend it, I thought the writing and acting didn't go far enough with the characters to make me care about all of them, especially the lead, which is a problem. But hey, let's at least give it up for the big man, Tony Siragusa!

"...but I feel GOOD! But I feel HIGH!"
-Groove Armada

11154, I dug this movie
Posted by Blaise, Thu Jan-16-03 09:44 AM
I really liked the characters including NYC. Is the book a good read?
11155, it was a good movie
Posted by dropkicktaco, Thu Jan-16-03 10:09 AM
not a great movie but a good movie in my opinion anyway

the f**k you part was amazing as well as the line "do they ever tell you you look like A f*ckin optical illusion"
11156, this movie sucks
Posted by acidtabs, Thu Jan-16-03 07:31 PM
there's no plot what-so-ever. I couldn't even tell you why it's called 25th hour.
11157, 25th hour
Posted by sevencents, Fri Jan-17-03 07:37 AM
>there's no plot what-so-ever. I couldn't even tell you why
>it's called 25th hour.

Well since the movie deals with Monty's last day of freedom, the 25th hour represents the first hour of his new life.
11158, RE: 25th hour
Posted by acidtabs, Sat Jan-18-03 09:36 AM
>>there's no plot what-so-ever. I couldn't even tell you why
>>it's called 25th hour.
>
>Well since the movie deals with Monty's last day of freedom,
>the 25th hour represents the first hour of his new life.

yeah but that 1st hour isn't even in the movie at all.
11159, RE: 25th hour
Posted by sevencents, Mon Jan-20-03 08:20 AM

>>Well since the movie deals with Monty's last day of freedom,
>>the 25th hour represents the first hour of his new life.
>
>yeah but that 1st hour isn't even in the movie at all.

The last hour is left open. Where is he? Checking into prison? On the road out west with his dad? The 25th hour begins when the credits start rolling...

11160, I cried
Posted by Lunchboxxx, Fri Jan-17-03 05:39 PM
Fucking CRIED. Good movie.

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic©
The Album..
Neurology Sessions

click
to available now for order.

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic presents.....

Omni: "The First Offering"

Lunchbox tha Narcoleptic
Ginseng
Warlock
Xcaliber
Divine Versatile
Fathom 9
Die Hard
Izno
Ralph FLeezy
T1000
Obsidian Blue

coming soon.

Death to Smoochie "and" Anthea.
11161, RE: I cried
Posted by kurlyswirl, Sat Jan-18-03 02:45 PM
>Fucking CRIED. Good movie.

Me too, like a baby. I just got back from seeing it and I feel emotionally drained! The last half-hour or so just did me in! This wasn't Edward Norton's best film, but he was excellent as always. I agree with others who thought Barry Pepper was fabulous. And I agree Rosario Dawson didn't serve much more purpose than to provide eye candy. But, all around, it was great, and the best movie Spike's put out in awhile. ks

11162, So did I...
Posted by Illgamesh, Mon Jan-20-03 09:03 AM
That is surprising. That and Magnolia are the only films to make me do that.
11163, RE: So did the girl I took
Posted by jigga, Mon Jan-20-03 11:32 AM
Neither one of us were expecting the (*SPOILER*) Fight Club like ending. But I was able 2 hold back.
11164, i did too
Posted by T2daP, Mon Jan-20-03 12:26 PM
*spoiler*

when they did that flash to him and his new family that did it for me

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aja (trianglist extrodinare) © Foley

2003 where will it be?
11165, Also, I wouldn't mind a transcript of Monty's "rant"
Posted by Illgamesh, Mon Jan-20-03 02:06 PM
(If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about)

Anyone have a typed up version?
11166, all I know is at the end
Posted by afropuff, Tue Jan-21-03 08:41 AM
the monologue by Monty's father... that woulda been read by Ossie Davis if it was in one of Spike's "old" movies... he still uses the same tricks!

good movie, flawed, but good. diff. than your average, so i'll take it.
11167, I thought it was good....
Posted by godman, Tue Jan-21-03 10:24 AM
I thought it was a good movie. Entertaining and well acted etc.
Spoilers: So he did go out West right not to prison?
Cause his dad said and "tell your kids how it almost never happened" and then the last shot is of them on the road...
11168, RE: I thought it was good....
Posted by TaLi, Thu Jan-30-03 08:55 PM
no but then in the very end the last shot is of him in the car with the bruises...so he's off to jail.
11169, The monologue is in the book (by David Benioff)...
Posted by kurlyswirl, Sat Feb-01-03 09:30 AM
...according to Roger Ebert's review. Surprisingly, it wasn't written by Spike! ks
11170, Spike's best film since
Posted by actualfact, Thu Jan-30-03 05:24 PM
"Do The Right Thing" maybe "Malcolm" but Denzel's performance was so stunning that I can't tell if it is a truly amazing film or a very solid film w/ a truly amazing peformance driving it. That being said, this is definately Spike's most mature work. Finally an ending to a Spike Lee film that is both believable and works within the film's context (that "i am malcolm x" shit killed me).
Just saw it again.

I have to agree w/ most above: Great performances all around. Pepper stole the show but he was given the flashy role. Rosario Dawson was the weakest link but so was her character. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Anna Paquin nailed the E experience. Brian Cox was the weight of the film and given his screen time, and the fact that the majority of his lines were voice over, that's a hell of an accomplishment. post 9/11 NYC was obviously a character but i don't think it overwhelmed the film and Spike gets kudos for not going overboard

The Cinematography was really what got me. The scene in the stock market w/ the reflections was killer. Good use of Spike's trademark bleaching effect so that it wasn't overdone. The scene outside Bridge where he's talking to the bouncer was so dope.

Loved the editing and the way it doubled up.

And he broke the axis line which i thought was a nice touch.

Plotwise, it played real slow the second time, but it isn't a plot driven movie. You can only have so much forward progress in one day and a few flashbacks. However, I disagree w/ those that felt the PSH/AP relationship didn't belong in the film. It had to do w/ making the right choice, about whether you'll jeapordize all you have, all you've worked for, for something. He did the Monty thing. And the great thing is, it was left open. Shit she could run and tell everyone he kissed her and that's his ASS.

The Club sequence was brilliant. Spike through in the Martin Scorcese shots which i dug. It's the sequence that really drew the audience into the film.

Oh, and yes, he went to prison. His dad drove on right passed the bridge. It'd be a fucking cop out if he ran. There would've been no consequences to his actions. I'd have disliked the film. He's going to do is bid. The good thing is, he'll see his dad again. He'll truly be free. That whole dream sequence and all that it held is lost. It didn't happen and that's what makes it so touching. He could've had all that but no. Monty served his bid. Everything we learn about the character says that he would. Not to mention they kept on heading North.

Great film. One of the best of 2002.
11171, It didn't feel like a Spike Lee movie
Posted by Smoody, Tue Feb-04-03 07:12 PM
and not just because it had a non-black cast...B/c Summer of Sam also did but still felt like a Spike Lee film...

Which is not to say that 25th hour was bad but I walked out of the theater still processing it. I liked the concentration on the theme of time but I really have a hard time forming an opinion about the specifics of the film. I feel somewhat neutral towards it.

Rosario Dawson in the silver dress was worth the price of admission tho. And the catholic schoolgirl outfit was just icing on the cake.
11172, very interesting
Posted by raool, Wed Feb-05-03 05:30 AM
I finally got to see the 25th Hour and I was pleasantly surprised. I definitely think it is one of Lee's best.
I particurlarly enjoyed the monologue segment showing the many faces of this modern-day Babylon they call NY.
Edward Norton was great as usual. Another poster said the secondary characters were more interesting than the main one. I'd have to agree as well. The 2 best friends were more complex than the hero who was the architype of the "good drug dealer".
Rosario Dawson was as beautiful as usual and I do see a growth in her acting range. I'll have to rent Sidewalks of New York.
Anna Paquin was quite good as the lolita. She seemed younger than in Finding Forrester and even had pimples! How old is she?
The star of the movie is definitely NY.
In the dream sequence, I think the actors chosen to portray the protagonists'children didn't have the right look. On a positive note, the kid in the bus who wrote his name on the window is the cutest kid on film ever.

Is it true that Spike Lee doens't want to make "black" movies anymore?