Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIf you're a MacFarlane acolyte, knock yourself out.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=110017&mesg_id=110070
110070, If you're a MacFarlane acolyte, knock yourself out.
Posted by ZooTown74, Sat Jun-30-12 04:13 PM
I'm not a particularly big Family Guy/American Dad/Cleveland Show dude, so this wasn't on my must-see list (I was dragged to it)

So I got exactly what I expected, which was a live-action episode of one of those shows. No, not with the same characters, obviously, but with the same kind of score, same kind of shots, same kind of punchlines, same kind of joke buttons (calm down), same sense of humor.

Which ain't exactly a bad thing. I mean, who goes to see a Seth MacFarlane movie expecting a huge artistic/comedic/storytelling leap, right? He's got his wheelhouse, and he's perfectly comfortable in it, and that's great. Though I had hoped that we'd get... something... more. Don't know what that "more" is, however.

I didn't find Mark Wahlberg particularly funny in this movie. Technically, he's the straight man to Seth MacFarlane, and though he had the chance to get off a couple of good jokes I just wasn't as enamored with him as I was in The Other Guys, which is a much funnier movie all-around (no, it actually is, guys, cry) and featured Mark playing essentially the same "goofy straight man" role.

And that was my problem with the movie as a whole: a few good jokes (the cutaway of Mark and Mila Kunis freaking out over "the shit" was pretty damn funny, as was the running joke of Ted being promoted every time he was disrespectful at his job), the movie just didn't come off as a "movie" so much as an elongated Seth MacFarlane show episode with live actors. Some will call that "snobbish" or "thinking too hard," but oh well.

Plus, I needed to see more titties. I mean, let's just be real. If we're hard-R, then let's really go hard-R, son. By the way, this is not the "more" I was talking about earlier.

For all my amateur editors, you really could have cut the Giovanni-Ribisi-does-creepy-dude-YET-AGAIN subplot from the movie. Not sure what you put in its place, though.

Again, a few funny jokes but not enough to justify repetitive plotting. If you dig that, then fine.

All that said, Sam Jones was awesome.