Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI'm trying to figure out why this is a big problem
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=109851&mesg_id=109941
109941, I'm trying to figure out why this is a big problem
Posted by ZooTown74, Wed Apr-18-12 04:43 AM
>I'm saying that Nolan specifically said that Batman is the
>only superhero in the world and there is no Superman or GL or
>anyone else, those elements don't exist

And what exactly, except for staying true to the DC ideology, does adding superheroes do for the stories that the Nolans (and Goyer) are telling here? Do you need to see some kind of acknowledgement from Batman that Superman or some other superhero is out there somewhere? I'm seriously asking here. And if so, why? Why is it so important, that in a psychologically-based set of stories about one possibly psychopathic man, that he has to stop what he's doing and acknowledge that there are others out there who are like him? Why is the notion that Batman exists in his own universe and Superman exists in his (apparently) so detrimental to your enjoyment of these stories?

>>But mainly, I guess I disagree with the fact that Batman
>isn't
>>compelling on his own and that he needs to be set in a world
>>with actual superheroes to be seen as compelling.
>>
>I never said he wasn't compelling on his own
>I said the things that make him compelling applied to the
>superhero setting make him more compelling and interesting

What is the superhero setting? The DC universe? Does his interaction with and "differences" from other superheroes in this universe make him more interesting to you?

It's almost as if Batman is nothing (or as you term it, not more compelling and interesting) to you, without existing within the larger, sprawling framework of the DC universe. Though I'm still trying to figure out how the Nolans and Goyer are supposed to convey this notion while remaining true to the grounded and insular stories that they have told and want to tell...