Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectSo it's a "horror movie" by way of the Twilight Zone
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108486&mesg_id=108532
108532, So it's a "horror movie" by way of the Twilight Zone
Posted by ZooTown74, Sun Apr-15-12 02:56 PM
Interesting premise, and the execution was fine for the most part, but I thought it dragged in a few spots

Can't really comment on the kids, since they were mostly cyphers, except to say that the stoner kid got off a couple of good lines

Can't say I saw the "ancients = the audience" thing, in part because that would be a pretty shitty "fuck you" coming from the writer/director of one of the summer's bigger tentpoles, not to mention created one of the more celebrated TV shows that gleefully twisted and played with genre convention.

I can see Whedon saying that he's just poking fun at horror/sci-fi movie conventions, as well as our expectations, but the other interpretation just seems too mean and cynical coming from him, even though this movie is actually a black comedy more than anything else.

Anyway, the "veteran, non-spoiler" leads were okay.

It wasn't terrible, I had fun with it, but in the midst of all of the deconstruction it felt like something... more was missing...