Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI just disagree with this part... (Spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108486&mesg_id=108506
108506, I just disagree with this part... (Spoilers)
Posted by SoulHonky, Sat Apr-14-12 01:49 PM
>appeasing the ancients is playing on the horror movie
>archetype: however redundant, it's a formula that's loved.

I really don't think it's the formula that's loved. People go to horror films to be scared. And again, almost ironically, the focus on formula in "Cabin" actually makes the film less scary and therefore more like a comedy than a horror film.

That's where I think Whedon (if this is his point which, since he said this was a "loving hate letter" to horror films is probably right) misses the boat and thinking more like an out-of-touch studio exec. To argue that the audience NEEDS certain things in a certain order to be entertained strikes me as odd/lazy. It overplays the importance of formula and underplays the strength of the bloodlust - people don't care who gets killed first as long as they get killed in a cool way.

I thought the movie was fun as a play on horror movies but if they really think they made a bigger statement, then it's a pretty flawed argument that they didn't make well (probably because they had to, in the end, fit the formulaic movie.)