Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectway too on the nose for me (SPOILERS).
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108486&mesg_id=108502
108502, way too on the nose for me (SPOILERS).
Posted by will_5198, Fri Apr-13-12 05:28 PM
"oh I get it. it's very clever. how's that working out for you...being clever?" (c) Tyler Durden

I give credit for attempting something creative. unfortunately, it was more tedious than entertaining. being that the first twist is instantly revealed, getting through 3/4ths of the movie is a labor -- you know the parameters, tension is muted because of that knowledge, and it's a slow crawl to see it unfold and get on with the next part.

all the cuts back to the control room didn't help; it was like being bludgeoned repeatedly by the writers' wit (this is us winking at the camera!). and the final act, while having some good scenes, was not enough payoff for sitting through the first 70 minutes. I mean, I get it -- we, the viewers, are the ancient ones -- but there's not a lot of nuance to that point.

it's not overly comedic, it's not very thrilling, and it's certainly not scary. I'd rather watch a stereotypical horror movie than a stereotypical horror movie done ironically.