Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: Yeah, it's weird.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108199&mesg_id=108288
108288, RE: Yeah, it's weird.
Posted by princeguy, Tue Jan-24-12 02:13 PM
Frank,

I never called you a racist. I wouldn't throw that accusation around lightly. I said a bias and a prejudice. Not towards a race of people, but toward movies. I DO NOT think you are a racist. And maybe the thing that irks you about me is that I'm the one bringing the issue to the table. Don't shoot the messenger. People have biases and prejudices. Its true. In some avenues, it's harmless. In some, its can be dangerous and impacting. As a black film-goer and an avid lover of movies, I see the danger if someone with special authority and privilege exercise their bias on a public message board where word of mouth is impacting.

You are human. You could be biased and unaware of it. It doesn't make you evil. The focus is not to attack you. The focus is for films with mostly black casts get the same opportunity and promotion as films with mostly non black films on this site/board. It's for films with mostly black casts not to be disparaged and ignored before their work has even been seen. We look forward and hope the film is good. When you consistently attack or ignore these films, we have to look into whether or not you're biased.

You continue to make this about ME. I don't want this to be a me versus you thing. I don't even know you. But i have witnessed your track record on here and i believe their is some bias. I know you don't hate ALL movies with mostly black casts. I think for you if its mostly black, it has to be proven otherwise after you see it. I just think you shouldn't post that a movie is going to suck and blow chunks when it can mean so much to a lot of people before you've even seen the movie.

And I shouldn't be attacked by you when i state my opinion. If you want to be a lurker and just another poster, then take the OK off of your name. Or, post under some anonymous alias if you want to spew venom on a movie. But as a Mod, for the administrative stuff like anchoring and commenting, you should try to be fair and impartial. And projects that are relevant to the Roots should get special anchoring and attention, since most of the people on this site probably like and/or are familiar with The Roots. They'd at least be somewhat interested in seeing Tariq in a movie. Or hearing The Roots do the score.

And if you continue to make this about me, whom you don't even know, just because i brought the issue to the table, then I'll be a bit disappointed because I'd prefer the attention and focus be on some of all of the awesome movies we watch.

Last shameless plug: Night Catches Us is a good movie. It's on Netflix.