Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: K.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108199&mesg_id=108282
108282, RE: K.
Posted by princeguy, Tue Jan-24-12 10:38 AM
>If you'd disagreed with my opinion, that would've been fine.
>But you attacked my character. People disagree with me on my
>blog and on Twitter all the time, and I have zero problem.
>
>If you have an opinion of me without knowing me at all, then I
>reckon that's fine. But don't act like that shit is real.
>Couch it with "in my opinion, you are a racist." Then, while
>I'll want to disagree, I'll simply and politely respond with
>"you are entitled to your opinion."

I don't think you are a racist. I think you are prejudiced and biased against so called "Black movies". That doesn't mean you are an overall racist. And i don't think that you are a racist. I know folks who have a bias against foreign movies. They aren't racist against foreigners in general, but they prejudge and assume they won't like foreign films before they even see it. They base it on one or a few foreign movies they've seen before and then prejudge ALL of them going forward.

Based on your track record I've seen on this board as a Mod, i believe you have a negative bias against movies with a mostly black cast. I believe you first ASSUME its going to be bad until it proves otherwise. I believe you ignore them as you don't see them as being on the same "level" as non black films. To you, it seems, they aren't worth mentioning and acknowledging. It's as if you see it all as a "black thing" that's not relevant to non blacks. I'm not trying to attack your character. You might be doing it unintentionally. Some biases are unintentional and institutionalized. I don't think it's something you set out to do. I know black people who too, are biased against so called "black movies". It's a mental thing. Not always an "evil" thing.

As a Mod with the power to anchor a movie post, ignoring them can be almost as bad as shitting on them. YOU choose what gets buzz and what doesn't with the anchor. The anchored posts by far are seen more than those without one.

As a Mod, saying a movie "will suck" 6 months before its even out is biased. Copying and pasting articles to support why it "will blow chunks" 6 months before its even out is dangerous and prejudicial. Whereas, most black folks get excited and HOPE for the best, you immediately pour salt on the movie with your negatively biased commentary before you've even seen it. Why go through so much trouble to support why a movie "will blow chunks". Aren't you trying to be a critic?? You must not PRE-judge. You can be personally skeptical, but you must not post in such a vague vitriolic manner using language like "it will suck" and "here's why it will blow chunks" a whole 6 months before it's even out.

Because movies have such a reliance and relationship on word of mouth and peer reviews, I feel its important to not be biased and prejudicial towards ANY movie because of the ethnicity of the cast. I used Night Catches Us as an example, because i saw the movie and loved it, and wondered why the heck it wasn't anchored on this site, which i frequent. THIS SITE. Amir's site. THE ROOTS site. Okayplayer.com's Pass the Popcorn Board. Tariq's IN THE MOVIE. The Roots handled the music for the movie. And it's not anchored on THIS SITE. WOW. Why wouldn't it be? It's not a Hollywood blockbuster with a 100 million dollar budget, but this is more reason why it SHOULD HAVE BEEN ANCHORED on THIS SITE. What was different about Night Catches Us and some of the other anchored movie posts? It has a great seasoned and experienced cast. It has a provocative storyline. And most importantly, it had major ROOTS involvement. The one glaring difference was their ethnicity. Very few non black actors. BTW, the movie is good.

I hope i conveyed my opinion to you and BigNick because i really don't want to take away anymore attention from Red Tails with these posts. You can call me whatever name you want. "Troll", whatever. It's childish to me. Just think about it all and really ask yourself if you're being biased at all.

P.S. Night catches Us didn't qualify for an anchor, but the "Long and Late Movie Show did. :)