Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI'm arguing about whether or not target audience is a legit criteria with which
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108199&mesg_id=108250
108250, I'm arguing about whether or not target audience is a legit criteria with which
Posted by Lardlad95, Tue Jan-24-12 10:34 AM
To analyze a movie.

I have nothing against Tyler Perry making movies for his audience or for trying to broaden his scope.

I know because okp is filled with agenda posting we all get lumped in together, but that hasn't been one of my lines of attack. As far as I'm concerned even within the TP cannon some of his films are more successful than others right? Willow was still some bullshit...The Phantom Menace was wack even though it was still made for Lucas's audience. When you make a movie like Star Wars that succeeds despite your limitations, like dialogue, it makes me less apt to forgive your errors on later films. Red Tails wasn't as bad as Indy 4 or the first two Prequels. Similarly since TP has films like The Family That Preys, which "succeeds" despite his flaws, you are less apt to forgive his movies that fail to do the same. And this is true of most directors. I just happen to not like dude's movies by and large. So I'm not claiming I have no bias, but I wouldn't ignore taking his audience into consideration.

That being said, audience is just one factor among many. My point in this post is that audience considerations aren't an automatic plea cop.

If I've given the impression that I think that TP is a bad director because of his relationship with his audience...mea culpa.

Also I'm going to again point out that I haven't been lauding this film as the next great American classic.

Anyway...this is all getting very tedious to type out on a phone.

OK...TP isn't the devil, Lucas movies have a key demo and is corny, Red Tails isn't the worst thing for your 12 year old son to watch.

Stay black you guys.