Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: First up, saying the film was "aimed at teenagers" is a cop-out for
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108199&mesg_id=108241
108241, RE: First up, saying the film was "aimed at teenagers" is a cop-out for
Posted by Lardlad95, Mon Jan-23-12 08:03 AM
>making a poor film. And an obvious one.

No..it's a statement of demographics. Who the fuck was this movie for then? Seeing as how you know more about distribution than the people who made it.

And pointing out the target audience doesn't excuse the negatives...but I don't think 13 year olds are going to be turned off by choppy dialogue and characters that behave more like archetypes than real people.

>First, no one makes war pictures specifically for teenagers as
>the main target audience, because (1) they're expensive (2)
>such films have a built in dedicated fan base of flying fans
>and military men and (3) if the film had been actually aimed
>at black kids, it would have been marketed as such,
>emphasizing the young stars among its cast (even though only
>one of the younger stars, Ne-Yo, is truly recognizable to
>black teens). It was not.

You know what your problem is? You want this film to be flags of our fathers...well I hate to break it to you but the dubstep in the tv trailer and the teen girls getting upset because Tristan got captured kind of put that desire in check

Also what is your second point actually supposed to prove? Because most war films are made for crotchety old white men this one has to be too? And for the record order I saw a few old vets sprinkled in amongst the black teenagers and young black parents.

>Even when Disney, Pixar, and DreamWorks make "kids' films",
>they (attempt to) make stories that aren't watered down so far
>that the adults in the audience are rolling their eyes, which
>is what my eyes were doing during most of this film.

And this film is obligated to follow that mold why?

Why are you comparing a collection of animated films of disparate themes and styles to a cheesy war movie?

My dad has a pretty extensive collection of Golden Age Hollywood movies and if you think red tails was wooden then you have never seen old Hollywood war movies. Some of those films are cringe inducing, but they're not meant to be character studies...they're war pictures. Oh and young people watched those films back in the day so...

>For example, "Ratatouille", a film some would argue has a
>younger target audience than "Red Tails", makes this film look
>like a 16-page storybook compared to a NYT Bestseller's
>novel.

Were those movies even trying to do similar things? I mean at all?4

Also that's your opinion. Ratatouille was good, but I doubt I'll be rewatching it for years to come. I never had the hard on for Pixar that everyone else seems to. Toy Story...maybe Up...other than that meh. Ratatouille is the same story about an exceptional individual leaving his small home to seek fame and fortune that I've seen for years. All we're talking about now is style points.