Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject4 1/2 stars on yahoo user reviews, which I'd say is a better measure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=108199&mesg_id=108212
108212, 4 1/2 stars on yahoo user reviews, which I'd say is a better measure
Posted by lc ceo, Fri Jan-20-12 05:11 PM
Let's be clear: George has flat out stated that this is a popCorn movie by design, with his target audience being black teenagers. The operative word in that sentence, to me, is teenagers; said blackness is secondary IMO. So, it's a popcorn flick telling the story of a historical event and not a weighty historical drama, which I suspect the RT reviewers are veiwing it as. Whenever Yahoo user satisfaction is this high for movies in this vein, IMO that's a better indicator of how well the movie will do financially. And really, isn't that the BIGGEST point of this movie, to make a shit load of money and widen the door for predominantly black films in genres outside of tyler perry films or queen latifah/ice cube flicks?

The(essentially) all-black cast is in and of itself an accomplishment for a movie with such lofty blockbuster aspirations. I mean, come on- Bay does a remake of Memphis Belle in the same aesthetic lane and releases it in June, and it'd be a fucking event film. Not that the topic itself is the same, just the period setting (considering MB was essentially the guys being protected by TTA) is more or less another side of that same coin. So to do a predominantly black film in the vein of a summer action blockbuster, with Lucas at the helm? How the fuck is that NOT worth seeing, if for nothing more than sheer curiosity?