Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI think that's the difference between FAVORITE and GREATEST
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107714&mesg_id=107809
107809, I think that's the difference between FAVORITE and GREATEST
Posted by Wordman, Fri Aug-03-12 06:51 PM
>I actually think that this list doesn't have ENOUGH from the
>past 30/40 years. Lots of old shit that people like from a
>historical perspective but they wouldn't pop into their DVD
>player.

I like NIGHT OF THE LEPUS (you don't understand, I really really do. I show it every Easter), and have certainly watched it more times than I have watched anything on this list. But the fact that it's more entertaining shouldn't be that big of a factor.
It's a list of the greatest ever, not just the ones you find most entertaining. This list should feel more like vegetables and less like candy.
Plus, this is Sight & Sound. It's supposed to be THE list, not just a list. And when it's "THE list of GREATEST," not "a list of films one really likes," historical perspective is supposed to be a big factor. Obviously not the sole deciding factor, but it certainly should outweigh the fact that a majority of the films selected will be older than the viewer.
And if we're being honest, there hasn't been much made in the past 30 years worthy of being canonized in S&S Greatest Ever list. From a performance, craft, story, or technical skill level. THERE WILL BE BLOOD is the big omission, and a case can clearly be made for PULP FICTION (I mean, if we're including Lynch's Persona-homage...), SCHINDLER'S LIST, AMADEUS, but not much more than that from the past 30 years.
Plus, when you consider LAWRENCE OF ARABIA didn't make the list - LAWRENCE OF MOTHERFUCKING ARABIA! - what chance do the few classic films from recent memory stand?

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams