Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject"...and those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it..."
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107310
107310, "...and those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it..."
Posted by BLACK_ADAM, Thu Dec-13-12 11:09 AM
Word Son... I feel that response..

Despite what the movie may be about...especially since folks are trying to "offer an excuse" or highlight grains of socio-political commentary in this film...

This film helps no one....and I guess we're stuck between defining what it is supposed to be and what it really is or what it *intends* to represent.

Is this strictly for entertainment?

Is this an (expired) piece of socio-politcal commentary?

If entertainment...then entertainment for whom???

If "medicine wrapped in candy"...What sickness are we treating exactly?

What I've gleaned so far is that what subject matter needs to be serious isn't serious enough *if* this is *intended* as a teaching device....

How do you cite historical context as justification when you have to take creative license to infuse humor? If there is a message it has just been cheapened...

In short, that makes this product a lie... a mere device that sows discord.. Ain't shit entertaining about slavery

I dunno man.... Is it even possible to accurately name something nowadays?

I say ask Tarantino exactly what he calls this and decide for yourself whether or not his vision (as described by him) is bullshit...

One revenge fantasy does not soothe generations of scarred psyches

"Ayo the Devil planted fear inside the Black babies.." - GFK

Now the generations of trauma are trivialized.

So far, I call bullshit.

"Inspectah Deck, he's like...he's like that dude thatta sit back and watch you play yourself and all that right? And see you sit there and know you lyin; and he'll take you to court after that, cuz he the Inspectah."