Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectNot really, just curious to see how you'd respond..
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107296
107296, Not really, just curious to see how you'd respond..
Posted by The Analyst, Thu Dec-13-12 11:31 PM
>Are you comparing a Spaghetti Western set in slavery
>times to a political drama about the 13th amendment?

But honestly, at this point I'm having a hard time remembering what the fuck we're all debating at this point.

You're a smart dude. I respect your opinion. I know that comparison doesn't really hold water, but we're all just trolling here, right?

And you know what, if people find this movie offensive, who the fuck am I to tell 'em they're wrong. Shit, I might find it offensive. I haven't seen it yet so I don't know.

It's not like dude is infallible. I don't think QT revolutionized the use of food in film or reinvented modern cinema. I like some of his shit well enough, but he's far from one of my favorite directors. I'll say this sucks if I see it and I think it sucks.

Whatever.

If we're being honest, I've been getting increasingly tired of his shtick. I'm hoping this will be good, but, who knows. Reviews haven't been bad as some people are saying, or as good as other people are saying. They're mostly in the "B" range.

As for the charges of racism, I tend to think he primarily wanted to a do a "revenge fantasy" and thought "what better than having slaves get revenge on their masters?" It's a not a tasteful decision no matter how you slice it, but on the flipside, there ain't a rule that says shit has to be tasteful. He probably believes he's "taking a piss on the Confederate flag," but whether or not he's actually doing it is a different story. (And whether or not the flag actually needed to be pissed on is a different story, too.)

Fuck it. I'll be back after I actually see it to weigh in.