Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectquestion about white people laughing @ the "nigger" dialogue
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=107141&mesg_id=107195
107195, question about white people laughing @ the "nigger" dialogue
Posted by Benedict the Moor, Fri Dec-07-12 11:40 PM
i kinda shuttered during Inglorious when all the white people were laughing at the king kong joke. I felt belittled, isolated, and slightly offended. not saying this reaction is universal or even the "right" reaction, but it's how i felt.

white people shouldn't have to hide from their feelings and true reactions when it comes to "entertainment." particularly when they paid to see it.

but it also begs the question: are we now blurring the lines of what's considered racist behavior? I mean, it's a movie with paid actors on a set reading lines. it's not real. however, the words are real, the context is real. the laughter is real.

not saying one side is right or wrong, but reading the script and then reading various comments online got me thinking about this.

not to post jack or anything but i feel like it's a pretty significant component of this film, being that "nigger" is uttered countless times by white actors in a context that is highly derogatory and bigoted.

furthermore, being that much of the "comedy" in Tarantino's writing is subjective to the viewer, whose to say when is an appropriate time to laugh?

i suppose my question is, are white people who laugh at a significant portion of this movie racist? How much, or how little do they have to laugh in order for them not to be racist?

sorry, no disrespect.